Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Stupid Question: Patio Furniture

Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 AM
GSRchick714

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question: Patio Furniture

Ok, so my mom gave me a nice set a few years ago, but I hate the cushions and chairs. I want to get some of the "sling" chairs (see pic). I want to get black or bronze frame chairs, but my table is white. Here is my stupid question: can I spray paint it? Its plastic, but I didn't know how well it would hold up outside.... :dunno:

Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 AM
BetterBob
Nobama

I think they make paint just for plastics, that bonds to it. Might want to check wal-mart and see if you can find it.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...or-Plastic.htm
Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 AM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

Yes you can spray pain plastic/pvc lawn furniture. They make paints specifically for that. As for durability?? Well PVC has a a coating which weathers with time (thats why some old plastic furniture leaves white chalky residue on your clothes). If the table is worn, you might as well invest in a matching table for the set.

Spend a little now to enjoy it for a LONG time. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM
GSRchick714

The table isn't worn....its just white and won't match the new chairs I want. The table is a nice glass top table in really good shape, thats why I wanted to just change the frame color. And now that I think about it, it may not be plastic....maybe metal :dunno: Haha, I don't spend much time out there currently.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Krylon should have spray paint specifically for that purpose. I'm sure that The Home Depot or even Walmart should have these spray paints available.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

glass top would be nice.. Just make sure to give it a bunch of light coats and not just one heavy coat. if it's metal (most likely iron if it is), buy a wire brush and give it a good brush and wipe down prior to spraying. It's pay dividends in the durability of the paint.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
GSRchick714

Originally Posted by jaymar88
glass top would be nice.. Just make sure to give it a bunch of light coats and not just one heavy coat. if it's metal (most likely iron if it is), buy a wire brush and give it a good brush and wipe down prior to spraying. It's pay dividends in the durability of the paint.
Yea, I don't wanna get rid of my glass top Thanks for the advice! I can just imagine how gross the sound of a metal brush on metal will sound :run:
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by GSRchick714
Yea, I don't wanna get rid of my glass top Thanks for the advice! I can just imagine how gross the sound of a metal brush on metal will sound :run:

it's only bad to the person listening not to the person doing it if that makes sense kind of like chalkboard and nails h:
Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 AM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

Originally Posted by GSRchick714
Doesn't sound too bad.. WRSHSHSWHRSHSHSHSHShhh --> sounds like that. :reechy:

BTW, I did the same to my cast iron fire pit and the finish has held for 2 + years.... and its a fire pit!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
GSRchick714

Originally Posted by RicoD
it's only bad to the person listening not to the person doing it if that makes sense kind of like chalkboard and nails h:
Chalkboard + Nails sounds bad to me whether I'm listening or doing it...ugh, can't stand it!

Originally Posted by jaymar88
Doesn't sound too bad.. WRSHSHSWHRSHSHSHSHShhh --> sounds like that. :reechy:

BTW, I did the same to my cast iron fire pit and the finish has held for 2 + years.... and its a fire pit!
Hmmmm, you give me ideas to match my fire pit to my new patio furniture :rick:
What type of paint did you use? Krylon?