Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Engrish halp..plz

Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engrish halp..plz

When do you put "the" in front of proper nouns?

"The Oakland A's won."
"(THE) Joe Montana won the fight."
"The Moon lights up the night sky."
"The Sun lights up the day sky."
"(THE) Bob lights up the room with his smile."

....learn me some grammar.

Last edited by b00gers; 02-09-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

The b00gers sent me an R4 :eek3:
Old 02-09-2008, 11:27 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

b00gers is the win :eek4:
Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 and 5 are proper nouns. use The

3 and 4 are common nouns, dont use.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:36 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

It's used as an adjective (to specify) and as an adverb, depending on where it's used in a sentence.

From the gospel according to Oxford:
[spoiler=really boring shit]
the |šē; šə| [called the definite article ]
adjective

1 denoting one or more people or things already mentioned or assumed to be common knowledge : what's the matter? | call the doctor | the phone rang. Compare with a .
• used to refer to a person, place, or thing that is unique : the Queen | the Mona Lisa | the Nile.
• informal denoting a disease or affliction : I've got the flu.
• (with a unit of time) the present; the current : dish of the day | man of the moment.
• informal used instead of a possessive to refer to someone with whom the speaker or person addressed is associated : I'm meeting the boss | how's the family?
• used with a surname to refer to a family or married couple : the Johnsons were not wealthy.
• used before the surname of the chief of a Scottish or Irish clan : the O'Donoghue.

2 used to point forward to a following qualifying or defining clause or phrase : the fuss that he made of her | the top of a bus | I have done the best I could.
• (chiefly with rulers and family members with the same name) used after a name to qualify it : George the Sixth | Edward the Confessor | Jack the Ripper.

3 used to make a generalized reference to something rather than identifying a particular instance : he taught himself to play the violin | worry about the future.
• used with a singular noun to indicate that it represents a whole species or class : they placed the African elephant on their endangered list.
• used with an adjective to refer to those people who are of the type described : the unemployed.
• used with an adjective to refer to something of the class or quality described : they are trying to accomplish the impossible.
• used with the name of a unit to state a rate : they can do 120 miles to the gallon.

4 enough of (a particular thing) : he hoped to publish monthly, if only he could find the money.

5 (pronounced stressing “the”) used to indicate that someone or something is the best known or most important of that name or type : he was the hot young piano prospect in jazz.

6 used adverbially with comparatives to indicate how one amount or degree of something varies in relation to another : the more she thought about it, the more devastating it became.
• (usu. all the ——) used to emphasize the amount or degree to which something is affected : commodities made all the more desirable by their rarity.

ORIGIN Old English (Northumbrian and North Mercian dialects) thē; related to Dutch de, dat, and German der, die, das.

USAGE
The article the is usually pronounced |šə|before a consonant sound (: please pass the potatoes) and |šē|before a vowel sound ( | please pass the asparagus). Regardless of consonant and vowel sounds, when the desired effect following the is to emphasize exclusivity, the pronunciation is |šē|:: she's not just any expert in vegetation management, she's the expert.
[/spoiler]

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:38 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Will, it's cuz you're FOB
Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Jani 5
2 and 5 are proper nouns. use The

3 and 4 are common nouns, dont use.
All of them have a proper noun :thinking: I think 3 and 4 can be common and proper...but I am using the proper form.

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
It's used as an adjective (to specify) and as an adverb, depending on where it's used in a sentence.

From the gospel according to Oxford:
Its 1am, layman terms man
Old 02-10-2008, 12:01 AM
scotttharobot
beer here

pssh, whatever sounds right
Old 02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by b00gers
All of them have a proper noun :thinking: I think 3 and 4 can be common and proper...but I am using the proper form.

Its 1am, layman terms man
What, you want me to spoil a Black Label-induced buzz on fucking english lessons?
English is a shitheap of a language sometimes.h:

Sentences #3 and 4 are grammatically correct... but the dependent clause in #4 is a little awkward. "the day sky" is a bit redundant.

When I'm firing on all ten cylinders, I'll find some eloquent way to explain myself.
Right now, I can't be bothered. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:14 AM
b00gers

Just to clarify, I am referring to using "THE" in front of the PROPER NOUNS. Meaning...Moon, Sun, Joe Montana, Oakland A's and Bob.

Why do we say, "The Moon" and "The Sun".