Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Computer gurus...Signal loss

Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer gurus...Signal loss

How much signal loss would there be in a long length of USB cable, say about 10-12 meters?? The reason I ask is that I am going to hook up a USB device with an RIAA stage in it to my turntable in my living room and run the USB cable to my office to the computer. How much other trash would it pick up like RFI??
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 01-15-2008, 03:25 PM
joebenz
nelson rules

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5/

http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/#cab1
Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 PM
BetterBob
Nobama

That is way to long if you're worried about signal loss. Look online for boosters, not sure if a powered hub or two would help.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It probably wouldn't work. A USB host controller has set transmission times, meaning that if it doesn't get a response in time it won't work... maximum cable lengths are about 5-6 meters depending on the devices
Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Well that answered that question...Thanks :thumbup:

Originally Posted by BetterBob
That is way to long if you're worried about signal loss. Look online for boosters, not sure if a powered hub or two would help.
Any signal boosters in the line would add noise, in my opinion. Thanks.

I guess I'll just build a shelf to hang in the office and move the turntable from my livingroom to the office when I want to record albums.

Once again thanks for the responses.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

I think I will try some XLR microphone cables, I can run long lengths of that, just hadn't thought of it until just now.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:15 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Exactly what is this going to be for?

If you really want to go high end you can get a stereo A/D converter and just feed it into a PCM input card on your computer...otherwise you could get a separate USB turntable, or even two computers connected through Ethernet.

Running analog cable is something I attempt to avoid if the end result is going to be digital anyway.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

ive seen 10 foot active usb cables... they have some circuitry to relay the signal at the end..... you can put up to 4 or 5 of those together.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Originally Posted by sherwood
Exactly what is this going to be for?

If you really want to go high end you can get a stereo A/D converter and just feed it into a PCM input card on your computer...otherwise you could get a separate USB turntable, or even two computers connected through Ethernet.

Running analog cable is something I attempt to avoid if the end result is going to be digital anyway.
It's going to be the connection between the A/D converter and my computer.

The USB turntables that are out there are crap...I've heard the results and they suck.

Originally Posted by Jani 5
ive seen 10 foot active usb cables... they have some circuitry to relay the signal at the end..... you can put up to 4 or 5 of those together.
Every active stage along the route injects noise so a powered (active) cable won't work.