Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Is it better to...

Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wait till the rpm needle drops to regular idle speed
Old 12-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Civic2Scooby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to friction modifiers and the magnificent application of viscosity modifiers the need to warm oil so that it thins went out the window with the old school thought it refers to. Since 5w30 or 10w30 actually has a reverse viscosity index from a standard oil, feel safe in knowing you can turn the key and drive
Old 12-18-2007, 03:17 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

i just get in and drive, although it doesn't get much colder than 40ish here.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

I usually wait a little bit (20-30 seconds). But I have to drive pretty carefully until the the car warms up, for the transmission's sake more than the engine.

If its the truck, it MUST warm up for at least 5 minutes, otherwise its an undrivable, boggin, backfiring mess.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

1. I wait about ~5-8 mins or til it's decently warmed up.

Reasons:
--Giving less gas from a stop because of lower idle
--Shifting isn't notchy or easier to get in gear when warmed up

When I start my car in the morning (after a night of freezing temps), my gearbox is super stiff/notchy/hard to get in gears. Once it's warmed up and lubed shifting is fine.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:29 PM
strykernyc

remote started then 5 mins later is good to go. when I don't have the time I just wait 30secs then drive normal just don't floor the gas.
new cars warm up so much faster and some new cars warm up within seconds.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by v6_accord_jerz
1. I wait about ~5-8 mins or til it's decently warmed up.

Reasons:
--Giving less gas from a stop because of lower idle
--Shifting isn't notchy or easier to get in gear when warmed up

When I start my car in the morning (after a night of freezing temps), my gearbox is super stiff/notchy/hard to get in gears. Once it's warmed up and lubed shifting is fine.
if you have a manual than I still recomend a warm up phase as most manual boxes that are a bit older take a standard weight oil. Even Honda MTF likes a bit of warmth as the viscosity modifiers in it are nowhere near as heavy duty as motor oil. ATF fluid on the other hand warms up rather quickly.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
thanks to friction modifiers and the magnificent application of viscosity modifiers the need to warm oil so that it thins went out the window with the old school thought it refers to. Since 5w30 or 10w30 actually has a reverse viscosity index from a standard oil, feel safe in knowing you can turn the key and drive
Exactly.

My internal combustions engine class prof, who is a Jamaican fucking moron, told us that cars need to warm up for 5 minutes when it's less than 32 degrees outside and when he sees people just get in their cars and go he yells at them :rofl: How he came to exactly 32 degrees is beyond me.

He also lectured out of a book from 1982, told us that gasoline direct injection is impossible and spent half the classes lecturing about emissions and how we were all destroying the planet, yet he drives a VW Golf diesel :rofl:
Old 12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Exactly.

My internal combustions engine class prof, who is a Jamaican fucking moron, told us that cars need to warm up for 5 minutes when it's less than 32 degrees outside and when he sees people just get in their cars and go he yells at them :rofl: How he came to exactly 32 degrees is beyond me.

He also lectured out of a book from 1982, told us that gasoline direct injection is impossible and spent half the classes lecturing about emissions and how we were all destroying the planet, yet he drives a VW Golf diesel :rofl:
sounds like my high school engines teacher...I wanted to punch him in the throat and tell him to take his 62 vette and drive back into the past with the knowledge he was trying to drop as it was out dated as he was. :rofl:
Old 12-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Zackk

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always turn it on, go back inside brush my teeth, put my shoes on, get my books together, and by that time it's warm.