Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Broadway Stage hand dies on the Picket Line

Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadway Stage hand dies on the Picket Line

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...esult=1&stid=8

As Broadway stagehands and producers headed to the bargaining table Saturday morning, a week after the stagehands went on strike forcing most of Broadway to go dark, stagehands mourned the death of one of their own who died on the picket line.

Union sources say that Frank Lavaia, 56, the head propmaster for "The Lion King," died Friday night after suffering a heart attack on the picket line.

"Frank Lavaia was one of the most loved stagehands, one of the most talented, and he was just like a father figure to all of the people," said Kenny McDough, head carpenter at the Booth Theatre. "I know him for over 20 years and I loved him to death."

"Everyone will remember him," said Kathleine Spock, an usher at the Schoefeld Theatre. "He would do whatever he could for you, anytime, anywhere. He is a good friend for everyone to have."

Stagehands say they will continue picketing, but with a black band tied around their arms in honor of Lavaia.

"He's a gentleman,” said Local One Vice President Willie Walters. “He was a hard worker, a smart stagehand, a carpenter, a prop man, and a very intelligent man."

His death came a day before the League of American Theatres and Producers and Local One, the stagehands union, met at a undisclosed location Saturday in hopes of having the strike settled in time for the lucrative week before Thanksgiving.
I know some companies usually pay some kind of life insurance to the families of whoever died while still employed. I wonder since this guy was technically on strike, if his family would still get something.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet his union contract has provisions for that.