Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

ARod to become part owner of Cubs?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:24 PM
KirkLS
Wannabe ///M3 owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARod to become part owner of Cubs?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

New York Magazine reported on Sunday that Rodriguez could end up with the Chicago Cubs next season with a contract that could be worth as much as $30 million a year for 10 years and includes an ownership stake in the team.

The All-Star third baseman can opt-out of the $252 million contract he signed with the Texas Rangers six years ago at the end of this season.

Rodriguez is batting .312 and leads the major leagues with 52 home runs, 146 RBI and 138 runs scored, leading the surging Yankees (90-65) to a 5 1/2-game lead over the Detroit Tigers (85-71) in the American League wild card race.

According to the magazine, Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, has already identified the leading candidate to buy the Cubs and has begun negotiations on a contract. If that is true, it could lead the Yankees to file tampering charges, since Rodriguez already is under contract.

Citing sources, the magazine reported that the deal could reach the $30 million per year level over 10 years, with part of the contract deferred toward an eventual stake in the franchise.

Yankees executive Randy Levine responded harshly to the magazine piece.

"It's a silly story, and we don't believe it," Levine told ESPN.com. "However, if it was true, it would be grounds to disqualify the applicant even before he went through the process, because it would demonstrate a disregard for major league rules and procedures, and we're confident the commissioner would feel the same way."

ESPN.com reported that Levine later said he spoke to Commissioner Bud Selig, who agreed with Levine's interpretation of the story, and its possible implications.

A player can neither have part ownership of a team nor negotiate for future ownership.
Baseball rules apparently say that a player can neither become a part owner or negotiate for ownership so I'm kinda wondering why his agent, Scott Boras, would bring this up. Unless its to drive the price up for other clubs interested.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Zackk

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

:eek3:
Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 PM
KirkLS
Wannabe ///M3 owner

as if 30 million a year wasn't enough
Old 09-23-2007, 07:31 PM
AcuraFanatic

That'd be crazy, but a rumor is just a rumor, I don't hold one any higher than another.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:34 PM
KirkLS
Wannabe ///M3 owner

I agree. If it says in the rules that its not allowed then it obviously isnt going to happen.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by KirkLS
I agree. If it says in the rules that its not allowed then it obviously isnt going to happen.
yes because the rules are ALWAYS followed in pro sports....h:
Old 09-23-2007, 07:39 PM
KirkLS
Wannabe ///M3 owner

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
yes because the rules are ALWAYS followed in pro sports....h:
True. They could negotiate something under the table so when he retires he could take over part ownership or something like that. Maybe they can give him Wrigley Field or something along those lines h:
Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by KirkLS
True. They could negotiate something under the table so when he retires he could take over part ownership or something like that. Maybe they can give him Wrigley Field or something along those lines h:
exactly...I am sure his lawyer can find a loop hole that can work a retirement ownership clause into a contract etc.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who the hell wants to be on the Cubs?

I don't think the Yanks are going to let him leave no matter the cost.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:10 PM
dubcac
I

He spends all his money on roids and hair product