Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

anyone into recording??

Old 08-19-2007, 04:56 PM
sqkev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone into recording??

after playing around with the roland digital recorders, I think I'm ready to buy a computer recording setup now.

what do you run? or what do you recommend?

this is gonna get expensiveeeeee h:
Old 08-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots and lots and lots of drive space

As much RAM as you can get to work on your setup

Don't skimp on MoBo or processor...you will need it

Get the best soundcard interface you can possibly afford

The requirements are real similiar to what you would use for video editing and the needs are just as realistic. Raw sound files take up a lot of processing power and space until you munch them down into a smaller more manageable file type.

Drew is the man to ask on this though he has tons of home recording experience.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:10 PM
sqkev

I'm thinking of starting out with this card

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tem?sku=701376

there's no mention of directwiring, I wonder if it has that. It would be perfect for my audio setup.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:50 PM
dj02
click click

just makes sure you have about 4grand
Old 08-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dj02
just makes sure you have about 4grand
W3rd

the computer is the cheap part of this...just wait till you start buying mics at $600+ a pop because if you get cheap ones you will hear it...unless you are only doing instruments with MIDI interface...which come to think of it isn't much cheaper either.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:58 PM
dj02
click click

and i was using 4 grand as a start off, when me and friend started putting our recording shit together and mind you this was meant only for studio dj recording we left guitar center spending 6g's and we already had 3 top sets.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 AM
sqkev

well, I'm not going all out with expensive ribbon mics or avalon preamps or anything. Maybe just a simple keyboard to make some tunes on the go. Plus, there are tons of plug ins I can use without having to buy extra processors I don't need.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:26 AM
MQue
We got this

What type of music do you plan on doing?
It's going to cost you a chunk, make sure this is somthing you really want to do before you invest. Also if you live in a small area w/ no studio access you can make tons of loot hooking up other people. I have a few freinds that own recording studios and they're chilling from studio time
Old 08-20-2007, 05:05 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

what are you recording?

Here's my exact setup ...

Of course everything before the software is up to you.

1. Inputs - RCA / XLR / 1/4th in
RCA are your typical home electronic devices. You can sound capture from just about anything with a red / white audio jack. The PC needed an RCA to 1/8th inch jack ... which is a standard iPod accessory now-a-days.

XLR is more for a live sound device. (microphones)

The quarter inch jack is for instruments. (guitar, etc)

2. The pre-amp
I use the mixer to grab all of this because having a sound card with this type of input flexibility is expensive. Also, you'll be able to pre-amp the stuff you want to record.

If you're vinyl ripping, you're adding another element of sound degradation here, the needle. You're only going to sound as good as your needle dictates.

3. Output cable
The recording line out is an important cable. 99% of the time, you'll be using an RCA to 1/8th in cable to a PC's sound card. LOTS of degradation exists here. Be sure to grab a quality cable and test it before attempting to record.

Keep the length reasonable. Don't purchase a 20ft cord if you need 3ft of distance.

4. Sound card
I really can't tell you if more expensive models work better, worse, whatever because I really don't have the cash to tinker around with this. I buy Grifter's scraps from his PC graveyard. h:

5. Adobe Audition 2.0
This software will cost a grip ... Like anything on the internet, research before "buying".

6. Away you go.
Fire up audition and you'll be overwhelmed at first.
1. it's a wave sequencer. You can arrange noise in any way you want. (aka, beat making) Back in the day, bands recorded on "4 tracks". You'd get 2 tracks (right mono, left mono) on one side of tape (A-side). You'd get another 2 tracks from the other side of the tape (B-side).

Now, you're up to 128+. You'll never use it all, but you'll get the warm and fuzzies thinking about it.

2. It's a wave editor. Cut, reverse, flanger, remix, edit, clip, speed up, slow down anything you capture. I make hiphop, dance, whatever mixes using this.

3. The newest version of Audition now includes sound and video sequencing. I have no idea how this works, but it sure does make a killer screenshot. h:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
recordingsetup.jpg (222.7 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by e3NiNe; 08-20-2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Instead of Adobe Audition find an old copy of Cool Edit Pro. Adobe bought it and changed virtually NOTHING.

I got the program back when it was free...now it costs an arm and a leg.