Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Iraq war czar: Consider a draft

Old 08-15-2007, 06:26 AM
qtiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iraq war czar: Consider a draft

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute is the president's war adviser. Several retired generals turned down the post.

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," said Lute, who is sometimes referred to as the "Iraq war czar." It was his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

The United States ended the draft in 1973. Restoring it, Lute said, would be a "major policy shift" and Bush has made it clear that he doesn't think it's necessary.

"The president's position is that the all-volunteer military meets the needs of the country and there is no discussion of a draft. Gen. Lute made that point as well," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

In the interview, Lute also said that "Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well."

Still, he said the repeated deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan affect not only the troops but their families, who can influence whether a service member decides to stay in the military.

"There's both a personal dimension of this, where this kind of stress plays out across dinner tables and in living room conversations within these families," he said. "And ultimately, the health of the all-volunteer force is going to rest on those sorts of personal family decisions."

The military conducted a draft during the Civil War and both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. The Selective Service System, re-established in 1980, maintains a registry of 18-year-old men.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Bush picked Lute in mid-May as a deputy national security adviser with responsibility for ensuring efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan are coordinated with policymakers in Washington. Lute, an active-duty general, was chosen after several retired generals turned down the job. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend
Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

people are getting way too overhyped about this

freaking hilldog sent a letter to the president demanding he explain why he would consider a draft or something along those lines

nowhere it says he was considering it. it states more than once that he has never seen the draft as an option and that he is of the opinion a volunteer military is more than sufficient for the job at hand.

the draft has been an option for every US leader since it was last actively used. only a leader who had his head up his ass wouldnt leave it on the table. but just because its on the table doesnt mean he plans on using it.

people getting way to upset over slanted writing on a comment made by a advisor who readily states that the president sees no need or want in instating a draft
Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

I'll be 25 soon :yay:
Old 08-15-2007, 06:52 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by IluvJae
I'll be 25 soon :yay:
Isnt it 28?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by b00gers
Isnt it 28?
Don't say that, i thought it was 25 :sad:
Old 08-15-2007, 07:16 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

It's not economically feasible. When a military is voluntary the public can justify a soldier's death by thinking that that person alone chose to join the military, so any oversights such as being injured or dying are not their fault. When drafts are instated people blame themselves more (and feel more at risk), and begin to question the war and ultimately the government. This is, I think, how contractors reduce the dissonance of being responsible for not properly equipping their workers. They chose to go, and they knew the consequences. We're pretty certain that some companies are making too much money off of this war, which is "bad capitalism". If these companies have large lobbying groups they will protect their bottom line. A draft is not in their favor, as the war will end quicker. So, it's not happening. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

I think death is the only thing that motivates people more than money in this and many other countries.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Oh please. This happens every couple years. We have enough soldiers volunteering, we don't need a draft. If we do, I'm going to the tattoo shop to get a small tattoo on my hairline. Any tattoo on the face disqualifies you from military.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:23 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by MarshyTheKid
Oh please. This happens every couple years. We have enough soldiers volunteering, we don't need a draft. If we do, I'm going to the tattoo shop to get a small tattoo on my hairline. Any tattoo on the face disqualifies you from military.
you really that dense?

if it ever came down to a need to reinstate the draft one of the first things in the military to change would be the enrollment and eligibility requirements.

if we needed men and women badly enough to enact a draft they wouldn't be that concerned with what tatoos you had where. and getting a tattoo placed on your forhead just to avoid a draft at a time when your country might possibly actually have a need for you is like being asked to be labeled a bigass fucking deserting pussy
Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

what about fegs? and lesbians?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by rebeld
you really that dense?

if it ever came down to a need to reinstate the draft one of the first things in the military to change would be the enrollment and eligibility requirements.

if we needed men and women badly enough to enact a draft they wouldn't be that concerned with what tatoos you had where. and getting a tattoo placed on your forhead just to avoid a draft at a time when your country might possibly actually have a need for you is like being asked to be labeled a bigass fucking deserting pussy
Deserter checking in :hsugh: