Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Brooklyn Dodgers: The Ghosts Of Flatbush

Old 08-02-2007, 05:23 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brooklyn Dodgers: The Ghosts Of Flatbush

is a HBO documentary
The first hour covers the pre-Jackie Robinson era and Robinson's monumental rookie season. Comparisons are made between the Dem Bums and the hated Giants and patrician Yankees.

The second hour reflects upon the Brooklyn Dodgers' first and only World Series championship in 1955. Only two years later would owner Walter O'Malley, frustrated with his failed efforts to build a replacement for Ebbets Field, pull up stakes and run away with the Giants to California.
has anybody seen this HBO special ?
if so discuss..

if you haven't
gotta check it out, very good documentary.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
sids1045
dumber than a box of hair

Originally Posted by hitman619
is a HBO documentary

has anybody seen this HBO special ?
if so discuss..

if you haven't
gotta check it out, very good documentary.
I don't have HBO, so I'll have to see it when it comes out on DVD. I only wish my mom were still around...a unreconstructed Dodger fan and Walter O'Malley hater, having grown up in Brooklyn. My late father-in-law loved Dem Bums too.

In the book "Bums" by Peter Golenbock, an oral history of the Dodgers, journalist Jack Newfield said: "Once Pete Hamill and I were having dinner, and we began to joke about collaborating on an article called, 'The Ten Worst Human Beings Who Ever Lived.' And I said to Pete, 'Let's try an experiment. You write on your napkin the names of the three worst human beings who ever lived, and I will write the three worst, and we'll compare.'

"Each of us wrote down the same three names and in the same order: Hitler, Stalin, Walter O'Malley."
Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Originally Posted by sids1045
I don't have HBO, so I'll have to see it when it comes out on DVD. I only wish my mom were still around...a unreconstructed Dodger fan and Walter O'Malley hater, having grown up in Brooklyn. My late father-in-law loved Dem Bums too.

In the book "Bums" by Peter Golenbock, an oral history of the Dodgers, journalist Jack Newfield said: "Once Pete Hamill and I were having dinner, and we began to joke about collaborating on an article called, 'The Ten Worst Human Beings Who Ever Lived.' And I said to Pete, 'Let's try an experiment. You write on your napkin the names of the three worst human beings who ever lived, and I will write the three worst, and we'll compare.'

"Each of us wrote down the same three names and in the same order: Hitler, Stalin, Walter O'Malley."
:rofl: :rofl:

There was a riddle circulating in Brooklyn in the late 50s – early 60s that went something like this: You have one gun, two bullets and three prisoners – Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Walter O’Malley – who lives? As any self-respecting Brooklynite knows, the correct answer is, “you shoot Walter O’Malley twice.”
you really should check it out
all these years people gave Walter O'Malley a hard time but in the end it wasn't all his fault
they wanted him to move to queens, but he didn't want to leave flatbush.