Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Hernias

Old 07-30-2007, 07:03 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hernias

Who here has ever had one. If so what was the surgery like and what was your recovery time.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:32 AM
kento

i had an inguinal (sp?) hernia once, it fucking sucked. i was lifting too heavy, and the lining in the abdomen slightly teared and part of the intestine went into the nutsack so it looked like i had a huge left nut. painful as hell.

the surgery was pretty straight forward though, i was in and out in the same day (although groggy as hell from being put under). they put in a plastic mesh to reinforce that area of the abdomen so that it would be unlikely to happen again.

recovery time wasn't too bad. i was up and walking around in about a week, and after a few weeks most of the pain was gone. it was about 6 months before i started lifting again though.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:38 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Usually you dont need surgery unless its hurt..

There are a couple guys here that have big ass bulges in their stomach and they havent had surgery.....one guy had surgery and said they only made little holes in his stomach and did it orthoscopically (sp), he was back to work in 3 days
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 AM
cowanpp
Card carrying badass

I think it depends on the type of hernia and how severe it is. My wifey is a surgical intern and did abdominal hernia surgeries on Friday - I can ask her some questions for you if you'd like.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 AM
reno96teg

i had one in my lower abdomen on the right. before i discovered it, i would occasionally get a pain like i had been kicked in the right nut. then one day i discovered a slight bulge and an appt. with my doctor confirmed a hernia.

i had laparoscopic surgery to repair it and got the same kind of plastic mesh as kento to reinforce the area.

immediately after the surgery i was quite groggy and very slow to move, but i was able to dress myself after using the bathroom (though the nurse said she would have done that for me.. )

i was a bit uncomfortable the next day and laid around most of the time. i also had to be slow about moving around, but each day got much easier and i think 3 days after the surgery i was back at work.

i stopped taking the pain pills almost immediately because they made me feel nauseous, and it still wasn't too bad.

i can't imagine how recovery would be had i had the old method of surgery..
Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Going to see my doctor on wednesday to find out if that's what i have. Sucks cus i just started a new job last week that i like and the last thing i wanna do is sit out of work.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:09 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by IluvJae
Cool, thanks for the info guys. Going to see my doctor on wednesday to find out if that's what i have. Sucks cus i just started a new job last week that i like and the last thing i wanna do is sit out of work.
get the operation on a Friday ... use a sick day on Monday. You should be mobile enough to work properly by Tuesday.

When I went under, I made it to the office by Monday. I was sore but no massive pain.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 AM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a double hernia when I was an infant. I still have two minor horizontal lines on my very low abdoman. It kind of looks like a squinting asian man since it left a scar on both sides h:
Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by e3NiNe
get the operation on a Friday ... use a sick day on Monday. You should be mobile enough to work properly by Tuesday.

When I went under, I made it to the office by Monday. I was sore but no massive pain.
Werd, I do that all the time. Use those weekends to your advantage.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:16 PM
kento

yeh, i had the old fashion surgery, so i was out for a while, and also have a nice 2" scar down there