Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

:wtc: Man Vs Wild a fake?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:27 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :wtc: Man Vs Wild a fake?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6911748.stm

Survival show faces 'fake' claim

Channel 4 calls Grylls "a cross between Ray Mears and Rambo"

Channel 4 is to investigate a claim that it misled viewers in a survival series, in the latest allegation of reality being manipulated on a TV show.
Born Survivor featured British adventurer Bear Grylls dealing with "perilous situations" in the wild.
But a crew member told the Sunday Times some nights were spent in hotels.
Channel 4 insisted Grylls was never billed as working entirely unaided, but promised to raise the matter with the production company that made the show.
American survival consultant Mark Weinert, who was recruited by Diverse Productions, told the paper Grylls claimed to be stranded on a desert island on one occasion.
He often directly addresses the production team, including the cameraman, making it clear he is receiving an element of back-up

Channel 4 statement

However, he was actually in Hawaii and spent some of his time there in a motel, Mr Weinert alleged.

Another time, he added, Grylls was filmed building a raft by himself, whereas the crew had actually put it together and dismantled it beforehand, to ensure that it worked.
And in a further episode, supposedly "wild" horses rounded up by Grylls had come from a local trekking facility, he claimed.
Further investigation
Channel 4 said in a statement that Born Survivor was "not an observational documentary series, but a 'how-to' guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments".
"The programme explicitly does not claim that presenter Bear Grylls' experience is one of unaided solo survival.
"For example, he often directly addresses the production team, including the cameraman, making it clear he is receiving an element of back-up."
The broadcaster said Grylls carried out his own stunts and did place himself in perilous situations, "though he does so within clearly-observed health and safety guidelines required on productions of this kind".
"However, we take any allegations of misleading our audiences seriously and will be looking into this further with Diverse over the next few days."
The series was originally made for the Discovery Channel in the US and was acquired for UK transmission by Channel 4.
Diverse Productions declined to elaborate on Channel 4's statement, while Grylls's agent was unavailable for comment.
He is still badass... Just less...
Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 AM
XScarAudio
///o\\\///o\\\

So, this is about Born Survivor? That is a clone of man vs wild i'm guessing?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:32 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

I think its the same show, just title change.

Man vs Wild here, Born Survivor there.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:35 AM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

I've never seen the show...but it sounds pretty cool and some of my cousins are obsessed with it.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:35 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

He still broke that bunny's neck
Old 07-24-2007, 06:37 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

surprise surprise..
XScarAudio
///o\\\///o\\\

"The series was originally made for the Discovery Channel in the US and was acquired for UK transmission by Channel 4."

Click the link...more article than quoted.
reno96teg

he has a camera crew following him around. of course he's getting help.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:38 AM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

i figured that was common sense. :ugh:
Old 07-24-2007, 06:39 AM
XScarAudio
///o\\\///o\\\

Yes, its obvious that he has a camera crew with him...they even say it in the intro. I assumed he actually roughed it though. As to help, I believe that. As to staying in a hotel mid-show. That just doesnt sound right.