Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Vista vs. XP v. what are some cool changes?

Old 06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
firebane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sherwood
Super admin? WTF?

That makes no sense unless looking at things from a network POV. Plus XP has user defined privileges already. You can set by personal user or group, and place users in custom groups.

sounds like a bunch of extra crap to me.

About the only thing Billy could do to get me to buy this hunk of shit is to have a plug in added to s@# my cock.
Yup in Vista there is 3 different user accounts and thats why UAC exists to switch you between super-admin and admin.

XP Pro only allows you to setup groups and individual user permissions not XP home
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

We just bought the Vista Ultimate this weekend. I have no real complaints with it so far. Yes, some things are hard to find, but it only takes a second to locate them unless you're a complete moron.

It did crash a few times while installing some of my normal shit....
And Nero....omg. I tried to install Nero 6 and was informed by windows that it has a known issue (which it then asked me if I wanted for search for a solution, which it found), and was to upgrade to Nero 7.

So as I begin installing Nero 7, it prompts me to upgrade my Directx to 9.0c minimum.....

Mind you, Vista comes with dx10. :rofl:

So after I cancled, it crashed a couple times, then i finally just said YES to update my directx (which it didn't change anything) and then it installed ok.

But I like it overall. And to all the douches saying "don't upgrade...it's horrible", blah fucking blah. The fact is, it is windows. And if you don't get it now, you will later and you will be further behind. It WILL be the standard in a matter of time. Regardless of how much you like XP now.

/allthatshitbyme
Old 06-04-2007, 03:46 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Originally Posted by dE.fUsEd
But I like it overall. And to all the douches saying "don't upgrade...it's horrible", blah fucking blah. The fact is, it is windows. And if you don't get it now, you will later and you will be further behind. It WILL be the standard in a matter of time. Regardless of how much you like XP now.
Possibly... but only at work. I use Kubuntu at home and have only one reason to keep windows around and that's a few games. Which if I play 3 times a month... it's a lot.

Now I use a windows pc at work, sure they might require me to upgrade someday.... but since we still have a decent number of pc's running 98 and 2000... it's going to be a long long way off. Vista may happen on a pc that I have to run.... but I'd say it's at least 1-2 years out.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:49 PM
firebane

We just bought the Vista Ultimate this weekend. I have no real complaints with it so far. Yes, some things are hard to find, but it only takes a second to locate them unless you're a complete moron.

It did crash a few times while installing some of my normal shit....
And Nero....omg. I tried to install Nero 6 and was informed by windows that it has a known issue (which it then asked me if I wanted for search for a solution, which it found), and was to upgrade to Nero 7.

So as I begin installing Nero 7, it prompts me to upgrade my Directx to 9.0c minimum.....

Mind you, Vista comes with dx10. :rofl:

So after I cancled, it crashed a couple times, then i finally just said YES to update my directx (which it didn't change anything) and then it installed ok.

/allthatshitbyme
Hardly. People used Windows 98 and Win2k for many years after Windows XP was released and if you think people are gonna be quick to jump from XP to Vista you are delusional. People with a brain and somewhat of intelligence won't switch to Vista until things are smoothed out and works as well as XP does and by that time the next introduction to Windows will be on the market and Windows Vista will end up another Windows ME
Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
sids1045
dumber than a box of hair

Originally Posted by firebane
XP Pro only allows you to setup groups and individual user permissions not XP home
You most certainly can set up users and permissions in XP Home...but you have to remember that you can't log in as Administrator except in safe mode. IIRC there's a registry patch floating around the Internet to eliminate even that excuse (allows Administrator logins in regular mode).
Old 06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
dE.fUsEd

Hardly. People used Windows 98 and Win2k for many years after Windows XP was released and if you think people are gonna be quick to jump from XP to Vista you are delusional. People with a brain and somewhat of intelligence won't switch to Vista until things are smoothed out and works as well as XP does and by that time the next introduction to Windows will be on the market and Windows Vista will end up another Windows ME

:rofl: I hope you're kidding? Who still uses 98? 2k is understandable because I still dual boot to 2k Advanced server because it's so amazingly stable.

98 is not used for anything unless you are too poor to upgrade, or you don't use your PC for anything but freecell. If you don't think Vista will be the standard, you have bumbed your head. Vista is no ME.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
firebane

:rofl: I hope you're kidding? Who still uses 98? 2k is understandable because I still dual boot to 2k Advanced server because it's so amazingly stable.

98 is not used for anything unless you are too poor to upgrade, or you don't use your PC for anything but freecell. If you don't think Vista will be the standard, you have bumbed your head. Vista is no ME.
As a computer tech I run into people who still yes run Windows 98 because they have no need to upgrade to Windows XP or Vista

And in 2008 or 2009 Microsoft will be releasing the next Windows so why spend all your money on Vista now? Why not use XP for a few more years as it still we be very good until they next one is released?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Maverick

Wow you are a moron. I know plenty of people that still work on 98 and 2k as well as Xp of course. And if their company plans to upgrade their workstations it will be xp. Upgrading to vista and being the standard isn't even close to plausible yet. And won't be for yet a while. And by then Microsoft will be out with their new OS.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:33 PM
dE.fUsEd

As a computer tech I run into people who still yes run Windows 98 because they have no need to upgrade to Windows XP or Vista

And in 2008 or 2009 Microsoft will be releasing the next Windows so why spend all your money on Vista now? Why not use XP for a few more years as it still we be very good until they next one is released?
Yes, exactly..people who have no need to upgrade. Or can't afford an XP business license. There is absolutely no reason to still use 98 unless they are using a laptop from 1998. Any business that is using 98 is retarded.

The point was....99% of windows users are using XP. Making it the standard. In a couple of years, Vista will be the same thing. It's not going to go away because people fear change. All MS OS's have their issues, specially when just being released.

Originally Posted by Maverick
Wow you are a moron. I know plenty of people that still work on 98 and 2k as well as Xp of course. And if their company plans to upgrade their workstations it will be xp. Upgrading to vista and being the standard isn't even close to plausible yet. And won't be for yet a while. And by then Microsoft will be out with their new OS.
:rofl: :rofl: keep lurking.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:35 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

just because you kicked it to the curb so long ago doesn't mean others have.

My work has machines that run 98. Why? Not because we are cheap, because everyone agrees "if it's not broken, don't fix it". The pcs run just fine and do exactly what they need to do and are more reliable than some of the newer pc's. They have a set of operations that they need to do, and they do it. No updates needed. No patches. No fixes. They just work. There is no need to upgrade something that is working better than perfect. The hardware is cheap and cool, it doesn't overheat. The only things we worry about is dust and the human factor. Can of air a couple times a year and they will last another 5-10 years running their same operations just fine. I have an old P233 MMX laptop with 98 on it... tell me ONE reason I should upgrade it when all I need it for is to console into cisco equipment. There is no reason to spend money on an "upgrade" when what I have works perfectly fine.

For places that need stability, reliability and predictiveness... you don't mess with what's working. Be it Vista, XP, 98, 3.1 or yes even DOS. I know banks that still run old DOS apps. The bottom line is, it works for what they need.

The desire for newer and upgrades is mostly artificial, to get you to spend money.