Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Ricky Williams tests positive for marijuana Again

Old 05-11-2007, 02:57 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ricky Williams tests positive for marijuana Again

Source: Former Argo Dan Ralph, Canadian Press
Published: Friday, May 11, 2007 Article tools
Printer friendly

Font: * * * * TORONTO (CP) - It seems Ricky Williams is in trouble again, but this time he won't have an escape route to Canada to fall back on.

The former Heisman Trophy winner, who spent last season with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts while serving an NFL drug suspension, has reportedly tested positive again for marijuana, according to The Associated Press, citing a person familiar with the case. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the confidential nature of the testing program.

The Dolphins and NFL both declined comment. Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, did not immediately return a telephone message.

Williams had applied to the NFL for reinstatement in April. A positive test would derail his comeback.

Toronto Argos president Keith Pelley said he doubts the positive test. But he also said Williams can't play north of the border.

"I can say definitively that Ricky Williams will not be back (in the CFL) this year," Pelley told reporters Friday. "The thing is we're dealing with a rumour and even if the rumour does in fact become reality, I'm not sure I believe it.

"I've had a wonderful relationship with Ricky and believe he's a special human being. I would lean towards this being a false positive."

The CFL's board of governors adopted a code of conduct policy this off-season that prevents Canadian teams from signing players under suspension by the NFL, Pelley said.

Williams, who turns 30 on May 21, was suspended in April 2006 by then NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue following a fourth violation of the league's substance abuse policy. However, he signed a one-year C$240,000 contract with Toronto after receiving permission from the Miami Dolphins - who own Williams' NFL rights - to play in Canada while serving the suspension.

Williams' CFL deal didn't include an option for 2007, which left him free to leave Toronto at season's end and apply for reinstatement into the NFL.

Williams' arrival in Toronto drew criticism for the CFL for failing to honour an NFL's suspension and allowing one of its teams to sign a player already under contract to another club.

Williams won the 1998 Heisman Trophy at Texas and led the NFL in rushing in 2002 while with Miami. But he has played in just 12 games south of the border since '03.

Another positive drug test could also put Williams in line for additional punishment from the NFL.

Williams enjoyed limited success with Toronto last year, rushing for 526 yards on 109 carries and two touchdowns but did miss two months with a broken arm and Achilles tendon injury. The Argos finished second in the East Division behind Montreal before dispatching Winnipeg in the conference semifinal. However, Williams' CFL tenure ended with a 33-24 loss to the Alouettes in the East final.

From the first day Williams arrived here, it was clear he wasn't a typical football player. He never spoke using sports cliches, instead he articulately voiced his beliefs of living in the moment, of never having expectations of situations, his love of yoga and being a strict vegetarian.
:bandito:

Ricky just can't leave the Ganja alone :no:

Discuss
Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Who's ricky williams.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:10 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

just shows he doesnt care. i dont know why other people would?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
skabone69

it seems like its a rolling headline you see every few months, I love it :lmfao:
Old 05-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

he's my hero
Old 05-11-2007, 05:30 PM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

that ninja loves to get high
Old 05-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

"Ricky Williams FUCK how Miami feelin!

Chorus: Smoke some weeeeeeeeeeeeed :bandito:

~Ice Cube~
Old 05-11-2007, 05:58 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^ what the hell is that?

you high?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:13 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

I have a few friends that I'm pretty sure couldn't stop smoking weed even if they wanted to.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:20 PM
dubcac
I

Who cares? It's recreational, it's not coke/crack/heroin, he's not an alcoholic, he's not out getting arrested, getting DUI's, etc...big deal.