Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

something that pissed me off last night

Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something that pissed me off last night

went to the tigers game last night , and as always you have the homeless asking for change on all the corners,

well leaving the game there was one man in a wheelchair asking for change, and the security came across the street and told the man to leave because his wheelchair caused issues with the people trying to leave. he wasnt bothering anyone, he wasnt in the way,

you have tons of drunks from the game stumbling around yet a guy in a wheelchair is harassed. it kinda pissed me off.

i musta spent 10 or 12 bucks on homeless last night, granted its nothing, but its more than they have. i think if i can afford to spend 30 bucks on a ticket and pay 8 bucks for a beer i can have one less beer and give the money to some people who have nothing, yet here people just push the homeless aside

it was amazing though to see the ball fans around the homeless man step up to the security guard and tell him what he could do with his "order"
Old 05-10-2007, 07:21 AM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

Man, thats awesome to hear that you help out like that.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 AM
GSRchick714

Good job helping out - that is kinda f'ed up that they made the wheelchair dude move.

I'm not going to lie though, I feel uncomfortable when homeless people come up asking for money. One time one came up to my car when I was stopped in the ghetto
Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

:shrug: i can waste it on myself somehow, or i can give it to someone who even if he does use it towards booze, it might make him forget for just a second.

couple weeks ago my roomie and i took all the leftover box lunches from a convention to the homeless shelter....it was like 50 meals....otherwise it woulda been thrown away.

i'm not religious so i dont see it in that light, but damn id hope if i was ever in that boat people wouldnt turn a blind eye
Old 05-10-2007, 07:28 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by GSRchick714
Good job helping out - that is kinda f'ed up that they made the wheelchair dude move.

I'm not going to lie though, I feel uncomfortable when homeless people come up asking for money. One time one came up to my car when I was stopped in the ghetto
i've met some really nice homeless, i work right across the road from the united way homeless shelter, so i see em all day long.

most of em are truly harmless, no reason to be scared.... i even bought one guy booze on his "birthday", it was cold as hell, i was walkin back from the bar with a friend, she stumbled he laughed, she got worried, he caught up and asked for some money , was straight up honest about he was gonna go buy alchohol to keep off the cold....went to the store and told him to pick out what he liked, i <3 honest people
Old 05-10-2007, 07:29 AM
GSRchick714

The only reason they "scare" me is because they walk RIGHT up to you - I'm the kinda person that likes to have my personal space.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

they realize that its the only way 90% of people are going to even acknowledge they are there...

its easy for people to block out the ugly.

ever since i helped deliver christmas meals back in hs to the poor i realized how good i fucking have it. granted ive had some times where i survived on ramen and cereal for a couple weeks, or payed for gas with change...but i always had a house and a bed and warmth.

people dont realize how much we could help if just every person gave $5 a week to a homeless group....think of the billions that would earn a year... so you cant buy that video game this week, or you have to have one less beer at the bar... big whoop.

its very rare that i say no to a homeless person who asks for change, unless there is a big group of em...cuz then i would wind up giving all them something and that is a bit too much for me
Old 05-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Whenever I have cash, which is rare, and someone asks for money, I will often give them all cash I have
Old 05-10-2007, 07:36 AM
HawtPants
the one and only

give a man dollar, you feed him for a day. give your local bum charity a dollar you feed him for a lifetime.

or at least more than a day

most bums just use your money for drugs anyways
Old 05-10-2007, 07:37 AM
GSRchick714

Yea, I see what you mean. I delivered Thanksgiving meals for 'Meals on Wheels' a few years - its fun and the people appreciate it SO much. Some of the cute old ladies even invited me to stay to "visit", it made me really sad that they don't have anyone.

But poor & homeless are different!! The sad thing is, if we give $ to homeless people, it probably wont' go towards them bettering their life, they'll probably just buy booze with it. Thats fine if thats how they want to live, but I don't know if I want to donate to that lifestyle. I wouldn't think twice about donating if I knew they were going to do something with their life to try to get themselves off the streets BUT if I just give them $ for alcohol, they'll be there next week asking for $ again and it just turns into a cycle.

I do feel bad not giving $ to homeless people but its not a lie when I say I have nothing on me sometimes - when I go to the bar, I take my ID and a credit card.