Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Is your kitchen remodeled?

Old 01-16-2007, 06:45 PM
sqkev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is your kitchen remodeled?

If so, what type of cabinets and countertop you went with? How much customization was involved and approximately how much did you pay for all??
Old 01-16-2007, 07:04 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

I did the work myself, (I was a kitchen & bath remodelor) built my own countertops from bamboo flooring, switched the locations of the sink and oven. Got the cabinets at trade price because I was in the business. It's a small galley kitchen so I had about 10K in cash in it plus my labor. If I were bidding out the same kitchen in someone else's house I would have put it in for about 25K.

There is a huge markup on cabinets, I could sell them to a client at 50% of retail and still make 60% profit on them plus installation at 100-200 per box. Countertop goes by the square foot depending on material. Granite can be had at a minimum of about $95 a lineal foot (25.5" deep X 12" long) and it goes up from there. Don't overimprove the kitchen for the house.

I did a kitchen for a client that was about a 60K job, also did two bathrooms for the same client and they came out around 40K for both. He kept me happy for two seperate winters. Did the bathrooms 1 year, and the kitchen the next year. Both jobs over the Thanksgiving-Christmas holidays. The client went and spent the whole time in their condo in AZ.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OLDMAN you have pics of your countertop? I am about to tear into my kitchen at some point this year and that sounds interesting.

How does it hold up to moisture and how did you seal it?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Originally Posted by Nightshade
OLDMAN you have pics of your countertop? I am about to tear into my kitchen at some point this year and that sounds interesting.

How does it hold up to moisture and how did you seal it?
They are harder than rock maple and hold up quite well I'll get you some pictures tomorrow. I have edge grain (vertical) rather than flat grain. I used an NSF food safe oil for them. I edge glued the individual board together with urethane glue that expanded to fill the joints, had to clamp them about every 8 inches along the various lengths. I made a cutting board out of the sink cutout and haven't refinished it in about six years. The best part is that bamboo is the ultimate in green material for building with. I'm thinking of doing my living room floor in it.

BTW I got raw unfinished flooring so that I could make them food safe.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

Old 01-16-2007, 07:21 PM
sqkev

Originally Posted by THEOLDMAN
I did the work myself, (I was a kitchen & bath remodelor) built my own countertops from bamboo flooring, switched the locations of the sink and oven. Got the cabinets at trade price because I was in the business. It's a small galley kitchen so I had about 10K in cash in it plus my labor. If I were bidding out the same kitchen in someone else's house I would have put it in for about 25K.

There is a huge markup on cabinets, I could sell them to a client at 50% of retail and still make 60% profit on them plus installation at 100-200 per box. Countertop goes by the square foot depending on material. Granite can be had at a minimum of about $95 a lineal foot (25.5" deep X 12" long) and it goes up from there. Don't overimprove the kitchen for the house.

I did a kitchen for a client that was about a 60K job, also did two bathrooms for the same client and they came out around 40K for both. He kept me happy for two seperate winters. Did the bathrooms 1 year, and the kitchen the next year. Both jobs over the Thanksgiving-Christmas holidays. The client went and spent the whole time in their condo in AZ.
Wow, must be nice to have a 60k job.

Reason I ask is I'm trying to do a bit of research on the market in different areas right now. My friends and I are trying to start up our own company catering to custom kitchen remodeling jobs. (we've been installing for 3-4 years now, and it's time to have something of our own)
I'm not sure how much custom work with your 40-60k job, but landing a job like that here would rare (we also sell granite and cabinets to clients from distributors).
Do you mind if I shoot you some questions in private?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:32 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

in for pics of bamboo countertops h:
Old 01-17-2007, 04:48 AM
AcuraFanatic

I'm going to be redoing my mom's new house this summer. :hsd:
Old 01-17-2007, 05:01 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

my parent's got their whole kitchen from ikea. got a uhaul and went up to canada with it (closest one)
Old 01-17-2007, 06:08 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Here are some pictures they're 640X480.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010716.JPG (63.4 KB, 20 views)
P1010707.JPG (65.5 KB, 18 views)
P1010708.JPG (69.9 KB, 19 views)
P1010709.JPG (71.5 KB, 15 views)
P1010710.JPG (69.2 KB, 16 views)

Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

wow. looks good.