Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

A new business proposal.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new business proposal.

So i'll be out of the military eventually and hadn't decided my career path afterwards, always wanted to start a business and work for myself but lacked the pathway. I thought about pursuing wholesale, performance shop and even owning semi's to move products across the country for other companies but every idea stumps...

I've come to it...I'm going start a diesel repair business with my uncle and grandfather. It's going to be in a small town in an undisclosed location with expectations after all bills are paid for me to walk away with close to $40k a month once business picks up. I already have an experienced shop foreman to run the business and I get to learn more than I could have ever learned at UTI or any other school. Never thought i'd own my own house before i'm 25.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:36 PM
reno96teg

what will you do when a chevy pulls in?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:38 PM
project_hatch

chevy doesn't make large diesel trucks ...lucky for me
Old 01-16-2007, 06:43 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Originally Posted by project_hatch
chevy doesn't make large diesel trucks ...lucky for me
Maybe not trucks but GM does manufacture quite a few large diesels, 4/6/8-53; 6/8-71; 6/8-92 all in turbo charged versions as well as NA.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:47 PM
project_hatch

The harder I work, the more money I make, i'm willing to put my morals aside for money. Who isn't though? Prosititute's morals go out the window for money so i'm willing to work on a GM product to cash in on a $10-15K repair bill.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:00 PM
2001TEGGSR

Have you done any research to see if there is a need for a business of this type, in the area your considering? Do you have any sort of a business plan? Are you borrowing from a bank, or do you have an investor? Do you realize that it usually takes 2 years to develop a profit, in any business? What is your niche?

I hope you didn't just wake up and decide to start a diesel repair business. Judging by your hatred for Chevy's, this probably isn't the best path for you to take. Good luck though!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
project_hatch

I already know the economy in this area overflowing with a demand for it. I myself don't know a whole lot of diesel repair but what a better time to learn? I'm not relying on my profits from my work...that would be absurd. And seeing is I won't qualify for my VA loan, I have to borrow from a bank. And I understand a business takes a while to turn over profit, but i've worked the numbers, the business will be paid off in the minimium of a year. And I didn't just wake up and say "hey i'm gonna pursue this" My grandfather has over 40 years of experience in diesel repair. He's owned a few shops in the past that he sold with intentions of settling down and it never worked out...hopefully this is my ticket to financial freedom.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

if you build it. they will come.