Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Basement (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement-2/)
-   -   So the teg forum is slow.... (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement/260278-so-the-teg-forum-is-slow.html)

pierced1 01-13-2007 11:44 AM

So the teg forum is slow....

Alright guys i have a questions, and it will seem to be a stupid one to you guys, but i would rather be safe than sorry. I have a 1992 acura integra gs, and its having transmission issues. I need to know EXACTLY how to check the fluid in it. I'm not even sure if its the right dip stick in it or not. Its got three holes in it... one towards the top and two towards the bottom about a half an inch away from each other. From what i'm thinking, the middle hole is for checking it when its cold and the top one when it is hot maybe? I'm not sure, please let me know if you know for sure. And dont call me a dumbass for asking a question about checking my trans. fluid in my car please, that wont help me out much....

pierced1 01-13-2007 12:12 PM

Come on guys help me out please, i have my car on jack stands in the front yard in case i need to drain some fluid.....

2001TEGGSR 01-13-2007 12:15 PM

Auto or Manual? Do you have a haynes or helms?

pierced1 01-13-2007 12:19 PM

Auto and i have the Haynes and it doesnt show the type of dip stick mine has in it...it shows a different one....

Singhg83 01-13-2007 12:54 PM

im not too sure, but i think the auto dip stick is located close to the firewall on the passenger side. its pretty far down there, but you'll realize that its the dipstick by the fluid color. red means its good, anything darker means that its time for a change. i remember on my camry that you would have to start the car and go through all the gears before checking the dipstick, ie p-1(L) and back. hopefully this might help. again, im not too sure, but this is better than nothing.

hope this helps man.

pierced1 01-13-2007 01:03 PM

Thanks mayn, see i know where it is its actually next to the battery under the coolant hose. It should be good, it hasn't been long since it was changed. My problem is knowing the proper level....

See a few months ago i left the house and it hung in 2nd gear....had to rev it pretty hard for a few miles and it finally shifted. I got home and noticed the third hole up top on the dipstick so i filled it up to that and then it started leaking.....well i found that it wasnt leaking it was blowing it out because apparantly there was to much in it. So i take it that its suppose to be filled to the middle hole when its cold and the top when hot. I just want to make sure, because i dont want to jack the tranny up in it.

2001TEGGSR 01-13-2007 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by pierced1 (Post 3321115)
Thanks mayn, see i know where it is its actually next to the battery under the coolant hose. It should be good, it hasn't been long since it was changed. My problem is knowing the proper level....

See a few months ago i left the house and it hung in 2nd gear....had to rev it pretty hard for a few miles and it finally shifted. I got home and noticed the third hole up top on the dipstick so i filled it up to that and then it started leaking.....well i found that it wasnt leaking it was blowing it out because apparantly there was to much in it. So i take it that its suppose to be filled to the middle hole when its cold and the top when hot. I just want to make sure, because i dont want to jack the tranny up in it.

You have the car up on jack stands, might as well drain all you can and re-fill. Might solve the shifting problem.

And I guess Auto tranny fluid is different, but I just filled my manual after a rebuild and Acura MTF is not red.

pierced1 01-13-2007 01:27 PM

Oh well i would, but only have 2q of fluid with me.... i might end up having to do that though just to make sure.... thanks

2001TEGGSR 01-13-2007 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by pierced1 (Post 3321139)
Oh well i would, but only have 2q of fluid with me.... i might end up having to do that though just to make sure.... thanks

It's almost impossible to drain all of it out, the change interval only requires 2.3 quarts I think. Might be different for Manual.

pierced1 01-13-2007 01:33 PM

yea....3.2, i might just go get another quart tomorrow and just change it....sounds like a plan to me... thanks