Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

attn: finance savvy peeps

Old 12-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Frankie Dirtbag
The White Man's Burden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attn: finance savvy peeps

will i get penalized if i cashed out my 401k and roth ira to use towards the purchase of my 1st home? thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frankie Dirtbag
will i get penalized if i cashed out my 401k and roth ira to use towards the purchase of my 1st home? thanks
You will have to pay the taxes on the total closeout value of both accounts which is considered a penalty but not sure if there is added early withdrawal penalty or not since it varies from account to account.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 PM
jclau00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roth ira: you may cash out your principal if it's been in the account for at least 5 years. any other early withdrawal and you'll get hit with a penalty. you've already paid taxes on it, so you won't get hit with taxes again.

401k: you maybe borrow up to 50% or 50k, whichever is lower. but if you leave your job, you will have to repay immediately or pay penalties and taxes. you repay the loan plus interest (which you get to keep) with after tax dollars. this eventually gets taxed again when you withdraw as an old fogey.