Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Plasma or HDTV LCD TV?

Old 11-22-2006, 06:34 PM
jlammy
w00t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasma or HDTV LCD TV?

I want to get myself a new TV for Xmas....a present from me to me since I don't have a gf and can probably afford this shit now....hehehe

I am debating between getting a plasma or a HDTV LCD TV. What's the major advantage in plasma anyway? I can save about $400 or so by going with the LCD so I want to know if it's worth the stretch.

Thanks yo.

Team B.O.B.™ - Ballaz on a Budget

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 11-22-2006, 06:41 PM
BetterBob
Nobama

67562144.4rganMES.upperskitty5qk8[1].jpg

Old 11-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Brar
|:]

Lcd
Old 11-22-2006, 07:02 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

HD LCD

DLP if you can.

Plasma still has issues with burn in.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:10 PM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

Plasma/LCD is garbage. Plasma will die on you in the next 5 years or so. LCD looks like shit if it is over 40".

DLP or nothing.

Last edited by dE.fUsEd; 11-22-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:11 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

If you want Big sizes, 50" or more, Plasma or DLP to save money. I'd choose Plasma.

If you want <50", and connect to a PC, I'd go with LCD.

I bought a 42" Vizio GV42L for 1299 and it's been perfect since then. If you have Costco membership, get the Phillips 42" LCD from their website for the same price, great quality, and great return policy from Costco. I treat that as an extended warranty.

Or you can pick up the 50" Vizio Plasma from Circuit city this Black Friday. It's one of the best 50" plasma panel for the money. Great quality.

If you want 42", other stores will have plenty on sale this Friday as well. I'm thinking of picking up another 42" and 37" from Microcenter for 800 and 500 (after rebates)

I'm liking the Samsung 46" 1080P LCD. It's a great TV.

For more reviews, info, check out www.avsforum.com

If you got the money and wanna ball, go with highends like Sony and Pioneer.

Those that said Plasma/LCD = garbage, it's their excuse for getting cheaper, bulkier, DLP that they'd have the worry about the light timeline within 5yrs.

Last edited by H-Accord-22; 11-22-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:19 PM
dE.fUsEd

Originally Posted by H-Accord-22
Those that said Plasma/LCD = garbage, it's their excuse for getting cheaper, bulkier, DLP that they'd have the worry about the light timeline within 5yrs.

You obviously know nothing about Plasma tv's. I don't have a DLP tv, but my next tv WILL be DLP.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:23 PM
dE.fUsEd

If you have money to burn, go with the Plasma.
If you are not Bill Gates, and want something that will last you for years to come, and if it does burn up, it will only cost you around $200 to replace, go with DLP.

LIFESPAN

DLP manufacturers list the backlight bulb hours at around 80,000 hours. What's more, this bulb can be replaced for as little as $200 in some cases. Certain DLP TV displays require a technician to change their bulbs, and this will cost you more than the lamp itself. In other cases, though, the DLP is configured in a way that makes it easy for a layperson to replace burned-out bulbs. It all depends on the make and model of your DLP.
And, since DLP is a mirror and light technology, once the bulb is replaced, the DLP should perform as well as it did when it was brand new.

Plasma, by contrast, uses a small electric pulse for each pixel to excite the rare natural gases argon, neon, and xenon (a k a "phosphors") to produce the color information and light. As electrons excite the phosphors, oxygen atoms dissipate. These rare gases actually have a life and fade over time. Manufacturers of plasma have estimated the life of these phosphors to be about 60,000 hours. The life of the plasma display itself is usually determined by half-life of the phosphors. So at 30,000 hours the phosphors will be at their half-life, and the viewer will be seeing an image that has half the brightness capability that it did when originally purchased. This should be a good point at which to consider its life over. The gases in plasma TVs cannot be replaced. There is no phenomenon of "pumping" new gases into a plasma display.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:31 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Originally Posted by dE.fUsEd
You obviously know nothing about Plasma tv's. I don't have a DLP tv, but my next tv WILL be DLP.
That's true, I don't know anything about plasma because I have yet to own one. So far, I've only owned DLPs and now switched to LCDs. Your statement about Plasma are valid for old generation Plasma and for those that didn't have proper burn in. My friend's small business has had the Sony 42" Plasma (monitor - no tuner) and been used for business for years without any burn-in problems. They're on 12hrs/7days and have been running strong for more than 3 yrs. He had properly "burned-in" the monitors.

From my EXPERIENCE, the DLP sets that I've own have been wonderful. One had the bulbs burnt out on me. I've recently switched the Samsung 42" DLP in my bedroom to the cheapo Vizio GV42L 42" LCD and I noticed better quality in images. Both in HDTV and SDTV. I've seen big screen LCDs that's 46" and above and they're exceptional quality, for example, the newer Samsung 46" 1080P with 10,000:1 contrast ratio is awsome. I'd love to own one. I'd also give the New Sony and Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD sets two thumbs up as well.

In no mean I'm saying one is better another. It's just not right, comparing apples to oranges, each has its own pros and cons. I'm saying in my own term of Budget, style, and space, I'd go for an LCD or Plasma. Now if I have a Large family room, a 62" or more DLP will be freaking awesome. It goes like this, <50" = LCd, 50-60" = plasma, 60"+ = DLP

BTW, the next TV I will own within 2 years will be a Laser TV. Can't wait for the debut of the Mitsu 62" Laser TV. Looks gorgeous.

Last edited by H-Accord-22; 11-22-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the newer DLPs with 10000+ contrast resolution = sex.