Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

iPod Users, please read...

Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Wharbone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryS
That's what I thought... user error but nope. Had all the prefs you suggested and told it to upload another .mp3 file... iTunes still converts it to .mp4. Not just that but I can never upload to the unit unit I restart iTunes and reconnect the iPod. I keep getting this error: "Error 50, can not read and write to ipod".
Something you are doing is wrong. iTunes wouldn't only work incorrectly on your computer, but correctly on other people's. Maybe if you could show screen shots of your process and prefs I could help more.

Are you sure the files you have are in .mp3 format originally and not windows media .wma files? iTunes will convert those since it doesn't handle that file type. What program did you use to convert them to .mp3 originally?

As far as the Error 50, I don't know. I havn't had that problem, but I know apple.com has support for common problems like that. I don't understand why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work for you. Seems it may be a problem with you usb hardware or drivers, but I don't know much about that.

Seems like you have already made up your mind to take it back. If you do, it is really easy to restore your ipod through the latest itunes.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Wharbone

Originally Posted by 2001TEGGSR
Thanks for the help man! I appreciate it. I'm downloading rockbox now...

I love the ipod itself, and understand there reasoning for doing things the way they do. But there effort isn't going to prevent pirating music, IMO. Just would be cool if there was a simple drag and drop program, but thats just how apple is. I remember back in the day, I had a Mac Performa 600. The CD-Rom drive was an added option, $3500 with a 14 inch monitor and crap HP printer.. Im curious how far they've come, haven't owned one since.
No problem! Glad to help. Let me know how you like the rockbox. Some people love it.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:40 AM
JerryS

Originally Posted by Wharbone
Something you are doing is wrong. iTunes wouldn't only work incorrectly on your computer, but correctly on other people's. Maybe if you could show screen shots of your process and prefs I could help more.

Are you sure the files you have are in .mp3 format originally and not windows media .wma files? iTunes will convert those since it doesn't handle that file type. What program did you use to convert them to .mp3 originally?

As far as the Error 50, I don't know. I havn't had that problem, but I know apple.com has support for common problems like that. I don't understand why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work for you. Seems it may be a problem with you usb hardware or drivers, but I don't know much about that.

Seems like you have already made up your mind to take it back. If you do, it is really easy to restore your ipod through the latest itunes.
Yes, the files are MP3 files, not WMA. It could be that error 50... but who knows. I tried looking up that error over at apple.com but no results. Perhaps I'll call their tech. support. But maybe I should wait to see what Zune will bring since it's going to be release mid next month.

"Seems like you have already made up your mind to take it back. If you do, it is really easy to restore your ipod through the latest itunes."

You know what? I tried to restore the iPod and to my surprise... I get error 50 as well. Hmm...

Last edited by JerryS; 10-26-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Wait.. You said your mom dropped it in a pool right? That probably screwed up a few things. Error 50 might be a hardware error, rather than a software error.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:13 AM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by MarshyTheKid
Wait.. You said your mom dropped it in a pool right? That probably screwed up a few things. Error 50 might be a hardware error, rather than a software error.
That was me.

No error 50 here, mine works fine.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

Originally Posted by Jani
i thought about getting a drive based player... but i dont really need that much music on me

i picked up a 512mb sandisk from woot for 25 bucks h:
i remember that woot h:
Old 10-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skelly_GSR
i remember that woot h:
woot off
Old 10-26-2006, 04:42 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sherwood
itunes wont convert unless you tell it to. you must be telling it to convert the library OR they were copied using WMplayer into WMA-- then it will convert.

the other problem you might be having is that you are uising that shitty itunes 7. itunes 7 is retarded and should be downgraded ASAP. it WILL try to reconvert your files because it's taking out the empty space in the files for it's seamless playback--

just install itunes 6 and you'll be cool.
I downloaded itunes 7 last week but haven't installed it yet...I guess I won't bother. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:47 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

I haven't noticed any problems with iTunes 7. I have all my songs on seamless playback and it hasn't tried to convert anything. I keep all my music in mp3 format and it never tried to convert anything.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 PM
JerryS

Well, since I bought it from the Apple store, I tooked it in alone with my computer (laptop). They couldn't believe it but it was converting my mp3s to mp4 right before their eyes. As for error -50, they had no clue. Odd that even an Apple store wouldn't know much about that? Anyways, they replaced my iPod. Still haven't got a chance to open it to test but perhaps it was hardware issue with the error. As for software side, I plan to reinstall and see.

Thanks to those who tried helping.