Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Anybody here negotiated a salary

Old 09-24-2006, 10:27 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody here negotiated a salary

I've been made an offer with a company that i'm probably going to take. But the salary they want to start me at is lower then i know i can get and what i know i'm worth. What tactics can i use to get the company to increase my salary. I was expecting at least an additional 7k more then they offered.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Buyimports2

Tell them what you think you deserve and why. Just be very professional about it.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:26 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

What salary are you currently making...add 15% to 20% that's about how it goes. If they have a salary range for the position look at where you are now and where you feel you should be in the salary range they have for the job. For example starting $50000, top out 75000, work out somewhere in between.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 09-24-2006, 01:37 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by OLDMAN
What salary are you currently making...add 15% to 20% that's about how it goes. If they have a salary range for the position look at where you are now and where you feel you should be in the salary range they have for the job. For example starting $50000, top out 75000, work out somewhere in between.
Im not sure if there was a range. When the lady originally interviewed me she asked me what i was looking for and i told her. I get the offer and it's about 7k less.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:40 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Most of the jobs that I looked at when I was in the regular working for someone workforce always had a salary range, that was where the negotiating was, getting to the point in that range that you want and that the company paying feels is fair.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

Old 09-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Omie
ew n!gg@ u g@y

just pull your cock out and tell em i want 7k more a year
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 PM
skabone69

I just got a 33% raise, and the main reason is because the whole department company wide was getting a raise. They told me what I was going to make and I told them I was very dissapointed because it was only about a 20% raise. They fought for me and I got some what in the range of what I'm looking for. now keep in mind when I moved out to AZ from Mass I took about a 36% pay cut. so know I'm about where I want to be and I'm also allowed to work overtime and with about 5hrs of overtime a week I'm back to where I was before I left Mass. You almost have to have some balls to speak your mind to your bosses about what your worth and sell them on why they should give you what you are asking for. In my case my bosses didn't want to lose me and they eventually want me to move into a managment position so thats why they took care of me.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:37 PM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

it depends. if its an entry-level job, then goodluck trying to get 15-20% more. even getting away w/ a 10% 'increase' in salary would be good. how much did they offer?

if its a job thats more niche-related, then depending on different factors they'll be willing to pay more or less. if youre working in a fairly competitive field, then you can use that to your advantage. if what youre doing is easily replaceable, its gonna be REALLY tough
Old 09-24-2006, 02:58 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Originally Posted by skabone69
I just got a 33% raise, and the main reason is because the whole department company wide was getting a raise. They told me what I was going to make and I told them I was very dissapointed because it was only about a 20% raise. They fought for me and I got some what in the range of what I'm looking for. now keep in mind when I moved out to AZ from Mass I took about a 36% pay cut. so know I'm about where I want to be and I'm also allowed to work overtime and with about 5hrs of overtime a week I'm back to where I was before I left Mass. You almost have to have some balls to speak your mind to your bosses about what your worth and sell them on why they should give you what you are asking for. In my case my bosses didn't want to lose me and they eventually want me to move into a managment position so thats why they took care of me.
I haven't worked by the hour and gotten overtime in a job since 1982. Most hourly jobs have a very small range that I've seen. I used to post them up for people I would hire in the Maintenance and Engineering Department for the hotels that I worked in.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by TaekOne
it depends. if its an entry-level job, then goodluck trying to get 15-20% more. even getting away w/ a 10% 'increase' in salary would be good. how much did they offer?

if its a job thats more niche-related, then depending on different factors they'll be willing to pay more or less. if youre working in a fairly competitive field, then you can use that to your advantage. if what youre doing is easily replaceable, its gonna be REALLY tough
It's for a technical support position. It's going to be taking calls as well as performing maintenance on PC related parts when they come in. It's shift work; 2nd shift 5% and 3rd shift 7%. During the interview i told them i wanted 45. They didnt say that's high or anything. They just said ok. She quoted me 38 base and 40 with shift differential and that's too low for me.