Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Anyone know anything about "networking" computers...

Old 08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
GotJDM?
No longer a Honda Driver.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about "networking" computers...

I'm askig because in the campus paper's office, all the MACs are "networked". For example: if I download images to one machine, then edit them and put them in the correct folder, then anyone can access them and use them how they want.

I wanted to know, because I'm in the market for a lap top. I was wondering if I got one, if I could "network" with out having shit saved to my MAC or PC, or if it was at all possible to "network" with the other MACs in the office?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Brad
wooo nascar!

if you connect to a network you can access 'shared drives' that are located on servers that are also on the same network. for exmaple, at my store we have a shared excel spreadsheet that is saved on a shared drive. throughout the day we track our sales and save the file. the file is never actually on our machines. we're just accessing, changing and saving it while its still on the server.

just about all recent computers have networking capability bro. you'll be fine.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:04 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

It's networked not "networked".
Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 PM
joebenz
nelson rules

Originally Posted by clickwir
It's networked not "networked".
:rofl: that makes me laugh h:
Old 08-25-2006, 04:20 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by Brad
if you connect to a network you can access 'shared drives' that are located on servers that are also on the same network. for exmaple, at my store we have a shared excel spreadsheet that is saved on a shared drive. throughout the day we track our sales and save the file. the file is never actually on our machines. we're just accessing, changing and saving it while its still on the server.

just about all recent computers have networking capability bro. you'll be fine.
Yea...like Brad said...the only thing is you're going to have to join the domain, and see if there is access rights to those specific folders.