Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

89 year old man hits 27 people with his car behind my work

Old 07-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 year old man hits 27 people with his car behind my work

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/4033724.html

July 8, 2006, 8:14PM
Car drives into crowd at Connecticut festival, 27 injured

By SUSAN HAIGH
Associated Press

NEW LONDON, Conn. — An 89-year-old man driving through a crowd at a summer festival panicked after striking one pedestrian and lurched his station wagon through the throng, injuring 27 people, city officials said.

Two people had serious injuries, Mayor Elizabeth Sabilia said. The rest were non-life-threatening injuries.

The driver, Robert Laine, of Wallingford, and a female passenger were not injured.

The accident happened about 3:30 p.m. near the Amtrak station during the city's Sailfest summer festival, where a crowd had gathered on both sides of warning gates as a train passed. Once the train departed and the gates lifted, the pedestrians and the Chevrolet Caprice wagon both began to cross.

Sabilia said Laine was driving across the tracks to get to the Fishers Island ferry when his car struck a pedestrian.

"He panicked," she said.

The car then lurched through the crowd, which witnesses said was about four- or five-people deep.

"People were facing the tracks and didn't see the car coming," witness Bill Hoezel told The Day of New London. "The car was moving probably 10 to 15 miles per hour, much quicker than someone trying to edge through a crowd. There was no warning and no screaming, just thump-thump-thump as the bodies were hit."

The victims were taken to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital. Most sustained cuts and bruises and were treated and released, a hospital spokesman said. The identities of the two seriously injured were not released.

Terrie Castagna, 43, a former paramedic, helped with first aid until emergency crews arrived. She said Laine told her the gas pedal in his car was stuck.

"He was shaken. He was in shock," she said.

Police said it was premature to point to a cause and were still interviewing witnesses and many of those struck. Investigators will also look at any video that may have been captured by surveillance cameras used by Amtrak and the Fishers Island ferry.

"It was a very chaotic scene," police Capt. Kenneth Edwards said. "There were luckily a large number of emergency personnel in the area."

The waterfront city's Sailfest festival attracts thousands of visitors.

———

On the Net:

http://www.sailfest.org/

Sailfest is a huge gatehring of ships and drunk people in New London, CT. My work is surrounded by vendors and carnival rides and shit right now. I guess earlier today an 89 year old man plowed into a crowd of people without hitting his brakes. This all took place about 15 feet from where I sit all day at work.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

someone hit the bars a little early, but like the song goes "It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
Old 07-08-2006, 11:23 PM
ShaolinLueb

ive been to that festival its fun stuff. last year i went. oh shit i was in wallingford tonight lol.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:55 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old people behind the wheel. :no:
Old 07-09-2006, 06:43 AM
puffy
bow down to king puffy

same shit happend in Santa Monica
Old 07-09-2006, 06:54 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I think older people(65+) should have to have yearly retests. No more renewal by mail business. That goes for younger kids too, 18 and under should get periodic retests. I don't see the fuss over this law that is trying to be passed, if your a good driver than it shouldn't be a problem. But they guy that has to use a walker just to get to his rear mounted wheel chair isn't the guy I want to be behind on the highway.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:16 AM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
I think older people(65+) should have to have yearly retests. No more renewal by mail business. That goes for younger kids too, 18 and under should get periodic retests. I don't see the fuss over this law that is trying to be passed, if your a good driver than it shouldn't be a problem. But they guy that has to use a walker just to get to his rear mounted wheel chair isn't the guy I want to be behind on the highway.

That's really easy for you to say. A lot of old people have to rely on themselves to get around, go to the grocery store and medical appointments. Should they just stay in their homes and rot?

I agree it's dangerous, but these people have few alternatives. Costs for elderly care in this country are rising by the month, while the overall state of healthcare continues to decline.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

Holy crap!!!

That had to have been like 27,000 points!! :crazyr:
Old 07-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Chris WebMaster
Talk To The Hand!

Originally Posted by puffy
same shit happend in Santa Monica
and didn't he kill some people?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:06 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Originally Posted by ILuvItTheJDM
That's really easy for you to say. A lot of old people have to rely on themselves to get around, go to the grocery store and medical appointments. Should they just stay in their homes and rot?

I agree it's dangerous, but these people have few alternatives. Costs for elderly care in this country are rising by the month, while the overall state of healthcare continues to decline.
It's a matter of public safety. Many states have public transportation in place specifically for elderly citizens. I have seen people getting out of cars, relying on oxygen to breathe, that can't even walk, that are still driving. This doesn't really apply to the vast majority of senior citizens, just the one's you see and think "How did they get here?!?!?"