Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Immersion ready to rumble with PS3 controller

Old 05-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Immersion ready to rumble with PS3 controller

Why doesn't Sony's Playstation 3 controller give you the shakes? According to the company, the familiar DualShock-style force-feedback was dropped from the new controller in favor of motion-sensors. However, Immersion Technologies -- which sued Sony for using its haptic tech in earlier controllers -- believes that the controller could be made to rumble, and has some ideas for Sony about how to do it. The catch: Sony needs to drop its appeal of the verdict in Immersion's 2004 lawsuit, and pay Immersion the $90 million that the judge in that case awarded the company. And, of course, Sony would have to pay Immersion for whatever technology they use in the PS3 controller. Frankly, it doesn't sound like a bad deal. By continuing to appeal the lawsuit, Sony's risking another loss and piling up legal fees, and by dropping the shock, they're left with a controller that many have called a weak attempt to copy the Wii. Working with Immersion on a haptic solution could solve both problems.
cliffs.... sony drops appeal, pays 90 million to Immersion, and Immersion would help design a rumble feature for the PS3 for a fee.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jani
cliffs.... sony drops appeal, pays 90 million to Immersion, and Immersion would help design a rumble feature for the PS3 for a fee.
Not only that, if they accepted the agreement, Sony would have to halt sales of ALL PS2 units and about 40 games.

Honestly, if I was Sony or any other major company, I wouldn't let a little piddilyshit company grab me by the balls and make demands, if entirely out of principle.

Where was this company in suing Sony when they first released the Dual Shock controllers in like 97? It doesn't take 5 years (the suit was filed in 2002) to realize that a technology similar to yours is being used in the most popular game console around.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:52 AM
dj02
click click

sony just keeps going down hill.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 AM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

Originally Posted by dj02
sony just keeps going down hill.
:ugh:
Originally Posted by Jani
cliffs.... if sony drops appeal, pays 90 million to Immersion, and Immersion would help design a rumble feature for the PS3 for a fee.
fixed
Originally Posted by Epoch
Where was this company in suing Sony when they first released the Dual Shock controllers in like 97? It doesn't take 5 years (the suit was filed in 2002) to realize that a technology similar to yours is being used in the most popular game console around.
maybe the company is run by idiots
Old 05-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
maybe the company is run by idiots
Or maybe opportunistic bastards that were waiting until the fruit of their patent was ripe before suing?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by Epoch
Or maybe opportunistic bastards that were waiting until the fruit of their patent was ripe before suing?
sony should've stole the patend in the first place... i say too bad for sony.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by Tark
sony should've stole the patend in the first place... i say too bad for sony.
Well, yeah. It sucks for Sony, but even more of a reason to not give in h:
Old 05-26-2006, 10:38 AM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

that's a whole lotta drama for yo' mama
Old 05-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Brar
|:]

bye bye sony

my prediction is PS3 = flop :hsugh:
Old 05-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by [Damnit]
bye bye sony

my prediction is PS3 = flop :hsugh:

My prediction:
PS3 will lead, but my a significantly smaller margin. Will fully ramp up 4 months after release
Nintendo will gain sales, but the overall library will remain weak. After about two years it will begin to fade, but still be in 2nd place
Xbox 360 will do OK, but will go the way of the Dreamcast, with a few memorable must have titles, but an overall weak showing.