Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Cingular ringtone catches heat

Old 05-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cingular ringtone catches heat

Ringtone removed following compaints
May 10,2006
Chris Mahon
The Brownsville Herald

BROWNSVILLE -- Cingular Wireless has removed its "La Migra Alert" ringtone from the company’s Web site and apologized for its "offensive" nature.

The ringer paints this scene: Anytown, USA. An undocumented Hispanic immigrant selling oranges on the street. Then, sirens wail and a man with a mild Southern accent begins to speak.

"Calmate, calmate, this is la migra. Por favor, put the oranges down and step away from the cell phone. I repeat-o, put the oranges down and step away from the telephone-o. I’m deporting you back home-o."

The ringer that reads like a page from an off-color comedy script had been for sale on cingular.com for about two months at $2.49.

It was one of thousands available for download from the company’s Web site but the only one pulled from the site at about 5:45 p.m. Tuesday.

Activists from Brownsville to Washington, D.C., were outraged to learn that Cingular was selling what they considered a racist product.

The Rev. Michael Seifert, a local community activist and priest at San Felipe de Jesus Catholic Church in Cameron Park was stunned.

"I don’t even know how to respond," said Seifert, an organizer for the May 1 immigrant rights protest. "It’s hateful. It’s just a hateful thing. If I had Cingular, I’d cancel them in a second."

Brent Wilkes, national executive director of the League of United Latin American Citizens, called the ringer "horribly offensive and a disgusting thing."

Wilkes said he called AT&T, named "America’s Most Admired Telecommunications Company" by Fortune magazine in February, demanding it be removed from the ringtone lineup.

Walt Sharp, a spokesman for AT&T Inc., part owner of Cingular, did not immediately comment after listening to the ringer.

"Let me do some inquiring," he said.

Later, Sharp offered an apology on behalf of AT&T for anyone who may have been offended by the ringer.

Cingular officials seemed caught off-guard by their own Web site’s content.

"Oh my goodness" was the initial reaction from company spokesman Mark Siegel after listening to the ringtone during a telephone interview.

Like AT&T’s Sharp, Siegel said he needed to do some research before offering comments.

In a later interview, Siegel said, "We’re in the process of pulling the ringtone, and needless to say, we deeply regret and apologize for it ever being there in the first place.

"The ringtone is blatantly offensive."

Siegel said the company is reviewing its process of screening ringtones, which are created by "a combination of companies that we work with and in-house (staff), but ultimately, Cingular is accountable for it."

While most ringtones offer a popular song, comedy item or phrase, the "La Migra" ringer was among a handful that made light of such things as minorities, homosexuals or speech impediments.

Other Cingular ringtones include "Benji’s Queer" about a homosexual dog and "Stuttering Gangster."

While Siegel offered an apology for the "Migra" ringtone, he said of the others, "People can choose if they like something or not."

He added that there is a parental control option on the site so parents can choose what options are available for their children.

Siegel did not explain the distinction between a ringtone offensive to Hispanics and those that poke fun at other groups.

"I don’t know what to say," he said, adding Cingular’s ringtones were no different than its competitors’.

A search of other cell phone company Web sites did not turn up the "Migra" ringtone, however Verizon Wireless does offer "Benji’s Queer."

The "La Migra" item had been downloaded eight times from the Cingular Web site, the spokesman said.

LULAC’s Brent Wilkes was pleased with the company’s apology and that it no longer offers the item, but he said there were still larger issues.

"I don’t think (bigotry) is an official corporate policy, but there’s a legitimate question about corporate America crossing the line."

Wilkes thought it was "hypocritical" for Cingular to have a Hispanic public relations department and boast of treating customers with respect, while at the same time selling a ringtone that instructs immigrants to "put down the oranges."

Ringtone:
http://media.putfile.com/La-Migra-Ringtone
Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... Should download it and assign it to my phone when deek calls. h:
Old 05-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randomtask77