Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Philadelphia city council OKs Wi-Fi plan

Old 05-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Grifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Philadelphia city council OKs Wi-Fi plan

Philadelphia’s city council has approved a contract for a citywide Wi-Fi network it hopes will stimulate the economy of the fifth-largest U.S. city and bring broadband Internet access to poor neighborhoods.

ADVERTISEMENT

The council unanimously approved the deal, under which Internet service provider EarthLink will pay for the network and operate it at no cost to the city, said EarthLink spokesman Jerry Grasso. An employee of the mayor’s office, who asked not to be named, confirmed the plan had been approved.

The contract must still be signed off by the City Solicitor and by Mayor John F. Street, but there are no more major political hurdles to be crossed, Grasso said. Street’s administration kicked off the citywide wireless initiative.

Philadelphia’s wireless plan inflamed a national debate over municipal networks, with established broadband providers criticizing the fairness and the business wisdom of governments getting involved in owning, operating or maintaining broadband systems. That controversy grew after San Francisco sought proposals for its own citywide wireless network and chose a plan by EarthLink and Google that would be partly supported by location-specific advertising. Elected officials in that city are now debating the proposal as the city negotiates a contract with the vendors.

Once Philadelphia’s wireless plan is approved by the mayor, EarthLink will seek permits and hopes to start rolling out the network in mid-June. The full infrastructure would be in place by the third quarter of next year, Grasso said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/200...NlYwN5bmNhdA--
Old 05-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

There are some AP already up but obviously get no service. I have seen them with my laptop.

Unfortunately, it is going to cost $20/month for regular users and $9.95/month for low income. Apparently the technology is outdated as well only supporting 100 people per AP.

We shall see how it goes when it is completed. This city is so ass backwards.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM
skabone69

Tempe, AZ already has wi-fi city wide, but it has not been rolled out yet to the public. I think only the police and fire department are the ones using it right now and the public should get access soon enough. if you don't want to pay you get 2 hours of free access. me personally, I'll just steal wi-fi from my neighbors that don't encrypt their connection.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:04 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

There are already areas of northeast Philly that have wi-fi hotspots. We would drive around with a laptop and be on the internet.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:09 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Now that i have the CarPC i might need to find these spots :rick:
Old 05-13-2006, 04:11 PM
mike01civic

The question is...do low income residents even have computers?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:19 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

I think Philadelphia had some program about donating computers to low-income families a while back.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Grifter

Originally Posted by IluvJae
Now that i have the CarPC i might need to find these spots :rick:
what did you go with?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

Apparently the network is going to support high bandwidth of 1 mbps