Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

OG star wars on dvd

Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Grifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OG star wars on dvd

'Star Wars' goes back to basics By Mike Snider, USA TODAY
Thu May 4, 6:53 AM ET

Die-hard Star Wars fans soon can see the original theatrical versions of the first three Star Wars films on DVD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Even though George Lucas adamantly declared 2004's digitally restored Star Wars Trilogy DVDs the definitive versions of his movies, fans have held out hope for DVDs of the originals.

Their wishes will be granted Sept. 12 when Fox releases new two-disc DVDs ($30 each) of Star Wars (since retitled as Episode IV: A New Hope), The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi that include the films as they first appeared in theaters, along with the new, restored versions (now available in the four-disc $70 Star Wars Trilogy).

The individual DVDs will be taken off the market on Dec. 31, a strategy that Disney uses on many of its classic releases.

Lucas re-released his original three Star Wars films in theaters in 1997 with inserted scenes and improved special effects. Those "special editions" were further enhanced for the four-disc DVD set. With the original versions coming to DVD, here's what you'll see again:

• In Star Wars, Han Solo shoots a bounty hunter named Greedo. Lucas changed the scene later so it seemed that Greedo draws first, and changed it again for the DVD so that they appear to shoot simultaneously.

• In Empire Strikes Back, the ice creature that captures Luke Skywalker gets less screen time.

• In Jedi, Sebastian Shaw returns as Anakin in the movie's final scene. Lucas substituted Hayden Christiansen, who plays Anakin in the more recent films, for the 2004 DVD.

Back in 2004, Lucas told the New York Post, "The special edition is the one I wanted out there."

This new set of DVDs does not constitute "George changing his mind," says Lucasfilm's Jim Ward. "What we've always said is George viewed the revised versions of the films as the definitive versions."

Fan attachment to the originals is strong. The movies topped entertainment website IGN.com's recent chart of Top 25 Most Wanted DVDs.

"People want the option of having the movies that they remember and people are opposed to George Lucas' revisionist tendencies," says the site's Chris Carle.

The original films' video quality will not match up to that of the restored versions. "It is state of the art, as of 1993, and that's not as good as state of the art 2006," Ward says.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200...NlYwN5bmNhdA--
Old 05-04-2006, 12:50 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

and i will buy into the marketing again h:
Old 05-04-2006, 01:22 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

I just like to pause it at those changes and explain how it should be. h:
Old 05-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Are tey taking out that stupid scene with Jabba in the launch bay that was added in New Hope?

I am so pissed at them for editing that movie from it's original content. I bought the box set and have only watched it twice because they ruined it
Old 05-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Grifter

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Are tey taking out that stupid scene with Jabba in the launch bay that was added in New Hope?

I am so pissed at them for editing that movie from it's original content. I bought the box set and have only watched it twice because they ruined it
original theatrical versions
:shrug:
Old 05-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

gah...so then I will own 2 copies of 4,5 and 6...

but it is worth it
Old 05-04-2006, 02:00 PM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

DAMN IT! They do this now after I spend the money buying it on dvd?! It would have been nice if they offered it before.

Oh well, I'm still going to buy it. h:
Old 05-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by Grifter
:shrug:
Yeah well what they say is sometimes not entirely correct and what they mean is "original theatrical version, with enhanced content". So technically they aren't lying but then again they are.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:17 PM
reno96teg

Originally Posted by Draconius
gah...so then I will own 2 copies of 4,5 and 6...

but it is worth it
3 copies.. this release will include the 2004 version as well.. i already own that..