Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

do you want to be the richest man in the world?

Old 05-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Grifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you want to be the richest man in the world?

Gates doesn't want to be richest man

MAY. 3 8:26 P.M. ET Most people probably dream of being the world's richest person -- except, perhaps, the man himself.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates told an online advertising conference Wednesday that he'd prefer not to be the richest person in the world.

"I wish I wasn't," he said in a session in which he was being interviewed by Donny Deutsch, the host of an interview show on CNBC.

Gates is ranked by Forbes magazine as the world's richest individual, with an estimated wealth of about $50 billion.
"There's nothing good that comes out of that," he said. "You get more visibility as a result of it."

Gates is doing his part to share the wealth. His Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is the world's largest philanthropy, with an endowment of $29.1 billion. He was not asked about giving away more money sooner.

Still, Gates said he can go out and do everyday things like other people, despite his wealth and celebrity.

"I'm not bothered when I'm out in public or anything," he said. "Someone might ask for a signature, rarely, but that's not a difficult thing."

And the Microsoft Corp. chairman expressed a kinship for at least one other person in his exclusive club, saying during the session that investor Warren Buffett -- ranked by Forbes as the world's second-wealthiest -- is the person he's learned the most from.

Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., has an estimated wealth of $42 billion.

Gates also said he wouldn't follow in the footsteps of other wealthy Americans by entering politics.

"I certainly will never be a politician," he said. Asked why not, he said: "For every reason. I wouldn't like it, I wouldn't be elected. I'm better at what I'm doing."

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan...h_down&chan=tc
Old 05-04-2006, 12:20 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

Boo hoo...poor Mr. Gates and his $50 Billion...I feel so bad for him...if he doesn't want to be the richest man in the world anymore I will gladly take $10 Billion off of his hands to bump him down a notch...

Oh and to answer the question...yes I would love to be the richest man in the world
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM
dj02
click click

Originally Posted by LABARINTH
Boo hoo...poor Mr. Gates and his $50 Billion...I feel so bad for him...if he doesn't want to be the richest man in the world anymore I will gladly take $10 Billion off of his hands to bump him down a notch...

Oh and to answer the question...yes I would love to be the richest man in the world

i would to, but at the same time i think it would get old after a while. like meh ya give me 5 of thoes 12 of thoes 30 of thoes.

who the fuck am i kidding. show me the money!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:24 PM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

Im with him LAB

If he never gets approached in public, except for the rare autograph, then why is he bitching? He seems to have the perfect balance of wealth and public freedom, right?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:26 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill Gates is doing more to fight AIDS than the US government. Considering our budget, I think thats disgraceful. As much of a dweeb as he is, I respect him a lot.

And yes, I think I would make a fabulous billionaire. h:
Old 05-04-2006, 12:30 PM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
Bill Gates is doing more to fight AIDS than the US government. Considering our budget, I think thats disgraceful. As much of a dweeb as he is, I respect him a lot.

And yes, I think I would make a fabulous billionaire. h:
LOL. You said "fabulous" :hay:
Old 05-04-2006, 12:30 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

I respect him alot. I too wouldn't want that much money. With that much money comes alot of power and the power to abuse it. He is doing very well in not abusing his power, pull and wealth.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:31 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRAIGHIMSELF
Im with him LAB

If he never gets approached in public, except for the rare autograph, then why is he bitching? He seems to have the perfect balance of wealth and public freedom, right?
to me, it doesn't sound like he's bitching :dunno: Sounds more like he's just uncomfortable sitting on that much power/wealth.

Realistically, having that much money would probably create a lot of stress after a while. I personally would probably have trouble with feeling guilty or unjust being that filthy rich for essentially being in the right place at the right time and making a few good decisions.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Grifter

i thought i posted this before but there was an article on how gates gives to a few charity groups and i think he even founded one
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 PM
reno96teg

did you guys even read the article? he's not bitching.. :slap: