Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Possible Ebay Scam Question

Old 05-03-2006, 05:56 AM
pnthr30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Ebay Scam Question

Here's the deal........There was an item (overhead dropdown DVD player & screen for our family car) that I was interested in buying on ebay. The seller appeared legit as he had a fairly good buy/sell rating. The only thing that seemed a bit strange was that he supposedly sold the exact same item (which he claimed came out of a car he sold), same listing, etc. about 2 months ago. I figured that the buyer was a flake or something and he relisted. Anyways, I won the item and paid for the item immediately after I won the auction. After a couple of days, I see that he partially refunded my PayPal account. He tried to refund some more, but his account was put "on-hold". I emailed him and he said that the item was stolen before he could ship it. I was kinda pissed because I really wanted this particular item, and I had gotten a very good deal on it. Anyways, I told him that he still owed me money........he said he would get me the rest. Several more days have past, and his account is no longer "on-hold" and I have nearly all my money back - still missing about $2.00ish that he said he will refund. In the mean time, I did some research, and found out that he did the EXACT same thing (with the same item) to someone else within the past week or two. Since he already refunded the other individual all their money, they are not worried about it....I, on the other hand, am a bit skeptical of a scam. I know I am getting my money back, but what is his "catch"? Can you somehow gain access to someones PayPal account by getting and refunding money? Does he simply want positive feedback (seems like everyone who gets refunded money gives him a positive comment about being honest)? Anyone have any idea what he is up to? Or, maybe I am just being paranoid...........it just seems a bit strange. Anyone? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:10 AM
9600baud
JDM rox ur world

wtf, cliff notes please.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:16 AM
pnthr30

Originally Posted by 9600baud
wtf, cliff notes please.
Come on man, its not that long. haha

Summary:
1. Won an ebay auction.
2. Paid for item immediatley.
3. Money was refunded due to item being "stolen" before it could be shipped.
4. Found out that seller has done this on multiple occasions.
5. Is this a scam? What is the seller gaining by doing this? Is my PayPal account safe?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:32 AM
egghead
TF Plasti-crack Crew

Maybe he just didn't get as much as he wanted and doesn't know how to use the reserve.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:37 AM
pnthr30

Originally Posted by egghead
Maybe he just didn't get as much as he wanted and doesn't know how to use the reserve.
I thought of that, but the first sale was for a pretty good chunk (he should have taken the money and ran). Like I said, I got a real good deal, but the other person that he just did this to won the auction at a decent price. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but IMO there seems to be something going on.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:39 AM
ShaolinLueb

he's also getting charged to return your money.