Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Computer Gurus.....

Old 04-13-2006, 02:59 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Gurus.....

Anyone have any experience with programs to record LPs onto CD-R? I need to record my vinyl albums that aren't available on CD.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LP player's audio out --> computer's audio in + a sound recorder = win.

Last edited by Misa; 04-13-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

I think you might need a turntable with set of audio left & right OUT, and computer with a PCI card that has audio left & right IN. All that's left is software to recognize.

BTW.. This morning, I was trying to listen to your radio show on my Macintosh, and the quicktime link didn't pop up and the real player didn't work either. Any suggestions?

Edit: Can't the guys at the station hook you up? You should have access to incredible equipment.

Last edited by Chefboiali; 04-13-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:17 PM
fathergoat
:3

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

audacity FTW!
Old 04-13-2006, 03:21 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

The main part would be getting the L/R RCA outputs to the stereo mini jack input on your pc. (Radio shack, walmart, any electronics store has these for under $5 for the adapter and under $10 for a 6-8ft RCA cable if you don't already have one) Then any audio recording software can record it.

Open the software, have it monitor the LINEIN port. Start recording and then play a track on the LP. When the track is done, stop recording and then edit out the dead space at the begining and end of the track.

I've used Cool Edit for a long time to edit sound files, it's way overkill for what you need, but Sound Recorder (built into windows) might not be enough.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clickwir
I've used Cool Edit for a long time to edit sound files, it's way overkill for what you need, but Sound Recorder (built into windows) might not be enough.
i wasnt referring to the sound recorder h:
Old 04-13-2006, 10:47 PM
firebane

You will also need a inline amplifier unless your turntable has one built in. Ever tried to put a record player into aux or tape? Chances are it didn't work because the Phono spot is amplified to play the record
Old 04-14-2006, 05:49 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Originally Posted by Chefboiali
I think you might need a turntable with set of audio left & right OUT, and computer with a PCI card that has audio left & right IN. All that's left is software to recognize.

BTW.. This morning, I was trying to listen to your radio show on my Macintosh, and the quicktime link didn't pop up and the real player didn't work either. Any suggestions?

Edit: Can't the guys at the station hook you up? You should have access to incredible equipment.
First off they don't have a turntable as good as mine...for that matter they don't have a turntable in the studio. I've got an old AR the model is "The AR Turntable" with a Sumiko Tonearm and a Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge mounted in a graphite headshell.

The college acts like they don't want anything to do with Orchard Radio, and the last "manager" for lack of a better word was a real dumbass. The new guy we've got is pushing for stuff, and actually getting some stuff done. We can't advertise anywhere around campus except in the Student Center where the studio is located. I leave the door open to get people listening to me, they won't let us put speakers outside the studio either, it's too distracting students might not be able to listen to their Ipods and Cellphones.

Real Audio hasn't worked since I got there at the beginning of the semester, Quicktime, I had to restart a couple of times early in my show this last Thursday.

I've got more money tied up in my 2 speaker stereo system than they have in the station, hell I probably have close to the amount of money they have in the audio equipment just in wires.

All I am looking for is a good recording program, basicly a studio in my computer... I'm well aware of the mechanics involved and what the "hardware" needs are I'm looking for software that someone might know something about, rather than going out blind and buying something and not have it be satisfactory, or spending to much money for it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

Last edited by THEOLDMAN; 04-14-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:00 PM
firebane

if you want to get rid of all the pops and snaps then get something like Soundforge and it'll work good. A free one is called Cooledit and otherwise you could just use windows recorder :P
Old 04-15-2006, 05:01 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Originally Posted by firebane
if you want to get rid of all the pops and snaps then get something like Soundforge and it'll work good. A free one is called Cooledit and otherwise you could just use windows recorder :P
There aren't any pops and snaps to worry about. The only thing I've got in windows rips cds doesn't seem to have any way of doing real time recording.

Thanks for the suggestions all.