Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Question about rock chips

Old 03-21-2006, 12:45 PM
JoshJ
bang bang.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rock chips

Alright, so I've been looking at this 2004 Acura RSX-S at a dealership near me for a while. Just went and saw it in person and was a bit dissappointed. There were tons of rock chips in the hood, front bumper, lip, and fenders. Other than that the car is perfect. Ive got a guy that is very interested in my car so i may be a little rushed when it comes to purchasing a new one.

If I were to get the dealership to paint those pieces, would that be a good idea because ive heard aftermarket paint is not as good as factory paint and i dont want to run into problems down the road.

Its black in color btw.

Any comments/suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 12:47 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

I dont think theres a different in paint my guy.......Ummmmm if they wanna sell that car and you want them to paint it i think they will paint it for you...and if its done at a dealership it should be done in good quality
Old 03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're ANY good at negotiating you should be able to get the dealer to take care of them for next to nothing.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:52 PM
TeggerLS

Originally Posted by F22B Prelude
I dont think theres a different in paint my guy.......Ummmmm if they wanna sell that car and you want them to paint it i think they will paint it for you...and if its done at a dealership it should be done in good quality
Dealers use outside body shops to paint their cars, very few if any nowadays do any in-house painting. If the job is done correctly by a reputable shop the paint will be as durable as stock.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:53 PM
c_rogue69
wtf goes here?

I'd be weary about getting a dealership to get them to fix the rock chips. They'll rush it and not do it properly. They'll do it just to make it look good enough to sell...6-8 months later, you'll have to do it all again. And no, there's no difference in paint, as far as OEM and "Aftermarket". There's different paint types, Acrylic Enamel...Laquer...stuff like that. Just get the dealership to knock off about $250-350 for the chips, add about $250-350 to the price of your car and take it to a body shop and have it done properly.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:44 PM
JoshJ
bang bang.

Originally Posted by c_rogue69
I'd be weary about getting a dealership to get them to fix the rock chips. They'll rush it and not do it properly. They'll do it just to make it look good enough to sell...6-8 months later, you'll have to do it all again. And no, there's no difference in paint, as far as OEM and "Aftermarket". There's different paint types, Acrylic Enamel...Laquer...stuff like that. Just get the dealership to knock off about $250-350 for the chips, add about $250-350 to the price of your car and take it to a body shop and have it done properly.
Repainting the front bumper, hood, fenders, and lip would cost more than $350...
Old 03-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

I say whoever had that car before must have been a nascar fan and drafted every dump truck filled with gravel they could.:doh:
Old 03-21-2006, 08:11 PM
AcuraFanatic

For the cost you're going to pay, you may as well put it toward an aftermarket front lip, CF hood and just repaint the bumper. You're looking at $300+ for a decent bumper job, which involves sanding and repainting it completely not just blending the nicked spots.