Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Korea, anyone?

Old 03-17-2006, 10:44 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Korea, anyone?

Is anybody in here Korean and/or has spent a fair amount of time in S. Korea? I'm thinking of taking a job there for a year, but I don't really know what to expect. Are Koreans friendly or rude? How do you think they'll react to Whitey McLanguagebarrier?

The job is a teaching job, and it pays decently, provides lodging, travel expenses, vacation time, etc. The only downside is that its a one year contract, so if I don't like it there, I'm out of luck.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:46 AM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im korean but ive never been there h:
Old 03-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

I have korean friends. They drink beer. They like carne asada fries and prime rib.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:50 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that doesn't sound so bad :yumyum:
Old 03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

im korean and was born there. but i havent been to korea in...7 yrs, but i have a looot of friends who visit regularly. ive actually got 3 friends who are doing what youre saying youd do, which is to go and teach english classes. only difference is that theyre korean, too.

generally speaking koreans are polite to foreigners. koreans have a known tendancy to stare at you, but thats about it. its a great place to visit and the country has a huge variety of places to go. humongous cities, beaches, islands, crazy mountains, rivers, just about anything you can think of.

if you do go, i would be hatefully jealous h: let us know what you decide to do.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

S. Korea = Asian USA
Old 03-17-2006, 10:56 AM
sinthetiq

um, ive heard about teaching in korea. the cost of living is less than that of japan, but higher than china. culturally, koreans are more upfront and will speak their mind towards you.. might seem rude, but thats just the way it is. ive also heard of people not getting paid on time, but not sure if thats common--i'd check w/the program you're getting into. the food and nightlife at korea is affordable compared to japan, and from the stories ive heard, it sounds like a lot of fun. and then theres some racism, i suppose towards caucasians b/c of the army stationed there, but dunno how much thatd affect u. :dunno: are they gonna do all the visa/paperwork for u and stuff too?
Old 03-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

Originally Posted by TaekOne
im korean and was born there. but i havent been to korea in...7 yrs, but i have a looot of friends who visit regularly. ive actually got 3 friends who are doing what youre saying youd do, which is to go and teach english classes. only difference is that theyre korean, too.

generally speaking koreans are polite to foreigners. koreans have a known tendancy to stare at you, but thats about it. its a great place to visit and the country has a huge variety of places to go. humongous cities, beaches, islands, crazy mountains, rivers, just about anything you can think of.

if you do go, i would be hatefully jealous h: let us know what you decide to do.
cool, I'll have to keep that in mind. I've been thinking of teaching English overseas when I'm finished with school. Looked at PI, Brazil, Japan, Korea, Spain, etc..

Unless I'm into a career by then or serious with anyone, I don't think I have a reason for not doing it.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:58 AM
DakarM

Originally Posted by TaekOne

that and watch out when trying to hit on korean girls. also do not show any PDA. there has been cases where a white man and his korean wife was attacked while walking down the street holding hands and embracing. it's not the norm but drunk people do stupid things, no matter where you are in the world.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:06 AM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

Originally Posted by sinthetiq
culturally, koreans are more upfront and will speak their mind towards you.. might seem rude, but thats just the way it is.
yeah and they tend to be confrontational.