Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Hd Dvd - 3.28

Old 03-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Grifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hd Dvd - 3.28

Warner Officially Postpones First HD-DVD Titles, Will Only Release Three Movies to Start

Fri Mar 17, 2006 at 09:56 AM ET
Tags: High-Def DVD, HD-DVD, Warner (all tags)

The planned March 28 rollout of HD-DVD has suffered a serious setback today as Warner officially bumped back the street date of the format's first high-def disc offerings by three weeks, and announced a reduction in the number of disc titles they will initially release.

As we previously reported, the company had asked Wal-Mart and other retailers to cancel online pre-orders for HD-DVD titles late last week, saying the release could be delayed "by a couple weeks."

The studio will now release just three initial HD-DVD titles on April 18: Clint Eastwood's Best Pic Oscar winner 'Million Dollar Baby,' the Tom Cruise starrer 'The Last Samurai' and the big-budget screen update of 'The Phantom of the Opera.' Each title will have a retail list price of $28.98.

"This is a new format and we're using a lot of new technologies," Steve Nickerson, senior VP of market management for Warner Home Video, told Reuters when asked to comment on slimmer-than-expected launch. "We wanted to make sure that with all of these new things that the product is right."

According to a late night company press release, Warner also plans to release an additional 17 HD-DVD titles in the coming weeks, including 'Batman Begins,' 'The Matrix' and 'Constantine,' though no street dates were given.

The postponed release date (and thinning of available titles) mean there will be no actual HD-DVD product to accompany Toshiba's much ballyhooed release of the first HD-DVD players on March 28 -- and only a small handful of titles within the first month. Warner's quick maneuver is likely a face saving measure to get at least some disc product to the marketplace before rival Blu-Ray, whose hardware and software launch is planned for May.

Still, despite the slower-than-expected rollout for HD-DVD, Warner claims to remain bullish on the overall commercial prospects for high-def DVD in 2006. "From October to December, we expect at least $250 million to possibly as much as $750 million in sales industrywide," said Nickerson.

http://www.panandscan.com/news/show/Warner/HD-DVD/448

---------------

everyone boycott this and bluray until they decide on a single format
Old 03-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by Grifter
everyone boycott this and bluray until they decide on a single format

Which should be BluRay, IMO. I don't want Windows on my freaking DVD player. Java, better data rates and disc sizes make BluRay the winner for me.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:42 AM
reno96teg

hell no, F- bluray. sony needs to stop forcing their proprietary shit down our throats..
Old 03-17-2006, 10:45 AM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i suspect hd-dvd will win just because of the name.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Black2KGSR

I think HD-DVD should be the next format, just because it's easier for companies to upgrade, so the players will be cheaper then Blu-Ray. But the fact the PS3 is gonna have a Blu-Ray player (I think), should help Blu-Ray a lot...in the same way DVD was helped by the PS2.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:19 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Fuck HDDVD and BlueRay. Holographic discs holding hundreds of GB are already avaliable. You can buy them today.

They only reason they are squabbiling over these puny 25-30GB dics is because they can control them and the players, thus they can control you. What you watch when you watch where you watch and how much you pay to watch it each and every time. Screw em both, I want my holographic disc.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:21 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

I'll rent one and see the difference
Old 03-17-2006, 12:47 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 bucks for a movie? no thanks h:
Old 03-17-2006, 02:13 PM
joebenz