Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Public Safety announcment from my school

Old 03-07-2006, 05:35 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Public Safety announcment from my school

The following is an advisory from the Department of Public Safety:

Since the start of the Spring 2006 semester, four motor vehicles have been reported stolen from campus parking lots. Three of the four vehicles were taken from Parking Lot M, and the fourth was taken from Parking Lot D.

There have also been four burglaries to motor vehicles since the start of the Spring 2006 semester. In three of the four burglaries, the vehicles were left unsecured, and no forced entry was noted. In all four instances, personal property was removed from the vehicles. In two other cases, vehicle headlight housings were opened and/or destroyed so that the headlamp bulb assemblies could be removed.

The four vehicles reported stolen were all Hondas or Acuras. That is consistent with the findings of the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), which reports that the nation’s car thieves continue to favor imports over domestic brands as their primary targets.

The Public Safety Department needs your help in stopping and deterring car thefts and burglaries. The number one way that you can help is to become an involved member of our community. Lend us your eyes and ears. If you see any suspicious activity or suspicious persons in or around any of the campus parking lots, don’t hesitate to call and report this to the Public Safety Department.

Please remember to keep all your vehicle’s doors locked at all times and to set your car’s alarm. You can make a great investment by purchasing an “Auto Club.” These units not only work but create an excellent visual deterrent. A car thief will skip over your car and look for an easier target. It’s also a good idea to keep your car’s interior free of expensive property items. Cell phones, iPods, and laptops left in your vehicle are open invitations to an auto burglar. You should also remove stereo CD players every time you walk away from your car.

For additional information on preventing car thefts and burglaries, you can call Crime Prevention Officer Lou Natal at 768-7854.

Any person who has information regarding any of the vehicle thefts or burglaries is asked to call the Department of Public Safety at 768-7985 or stop in at the Public Safety Office. Information related to any of these incidents may also be called in to the UH Public Safety Anonymous TIP Line at 768-7827.

Judy Carlson
Director of Public Safety

my response:

Dear Ms. Carlson,
Just yesterday I was working on my Integra and a Public safety officer
drove right past me and didnt even stop or think twice about me. I find this VERY disturbing. It was late at night and I was hanging out the side of my car looking under the dashboard, his spotlights were on as if he was looking for illegal parkers.

As for the thefts as an owner of a once stolen Integra I can tell you
NOTHING will stop the theives, the only way would be to allow all those with high risk vehicles (Honda Civics and Acura Integras) to park infront of Public Safety. It may seem an inconvience to you but I fear that anything else isnt helping-- these people are smart, they have been known to tow cars if all else fails.

Thank you for the warning,
MY NAME
Concerned Student and Honda Enthusiast

PS--
The club is NOT an effective deterent, the wheel can easily be sawed and the club removed.

An AutoLock for the clutch or gas pedal requires much more work to
remove. This has been shown in many instances.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:39 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

needless to say i'm taking my car off campus over the next week
Old 03-07-2006, 05:41 PM
AcuraFanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

At my work you're supposed to park in a guarded 4 story parking garage. The people supposed to do the guarding only get paid to check your stub when you leave so they don't care. Everytime I look out the windows in my workspace there sitting in the lounge watching TV. In 3 months 3 cars were stolen. So now I just park my car right outside of the building where I spend my day. I always get bitched at to move so the news paper trucks can come and deliver/drop off whatever they're hauling around. But I refuse to spend 50$ a month to use a "gaurded" garage where cars are still being stolen from.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

It seemed like once a month we had a car stolen from my old highschools parking lot. None were hondas though. A few were Pintos(Or something) and the rest were Saturns(Expensive headlights and other parts) or BMWs. A guy I knew had his mid 12 second BMW stolen and stripped bare. My school did nothing. A few of my friends went out to the parking lot after school to find their car totaled and actually wrapped around a light pole. School did nothing. Their cameras only get like 1/4 of the lot.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:07 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

i think the major reason i am pissed is that they passed me, clearly hanging out of my car without stopping to question.

i mean i'm not asking that they stand outside infront of any honda or acura, but is it too much to ask to have them to roll down their window and ask for ID?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:11 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

You should go out tomorrow and get a coathanger and act like you're trying to break into your own car as they pass you. Right when they get to you act guilty and try to hide or something. Then bitchslap them.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:15 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

honestly there is someone on campus that is milking it. i'm not too worried from what i hear they are fags who are after radios and wheels, i have a stocker radio and my wheels are steelies right now.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by sherwood
honestly there is someone on campus that is milking it. i'm not too worried from what i hear they are fags who are after radios and wheels, i have a stocker radio and my wheels are steelies right now.
It's actually people from the campus? I would say how stupid can they be, but they seem to be getting away with it from the Saftey Departments lack of initiative.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:18 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by Omniscient
It's actually people from the campus? I would say how stupid can they be, but they seem to be getting away with it from the Saftey Departments lack of initiative.
no, but i mean some has found a gold mine here

-just reported a shady looking civic (drives into a lot, drove all around the one side of it, like real slow, drove past me at walking speed continued onto the other side and drove out--- it really sketched me out)