Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Major/Degree issues

Old 02-01-2006, 12:16 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major/Degree issues

I've been planning on getting a BS in Computer Science, but at my college math is pretty complex and hard. To get a BS you need tons of math, most upper division. So since I barely passed Calc 1 last fall, I don't think I would be able to make it very far. Also for a BS you need 62 credits and each class has to be mapped out perfectly. If you miss signing up or you fail, you'll be graduating 1 or 2 years late.
I was looking at getting a BA in CS and that still has quite a bit of math involved but not as much. The thing I was thinking of was getting a BA with Business track or networking track. But I'm not too sure what jobs would be available and what not.

Anyone have any input?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:21 PM
AcuraFanatic

Computer science and programming is ridiculously math intensive. I looked into both those fields in like high school, and I stayed the hell away for a reason. :hsugh:
Old 02-01-2006, 12:21 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Also with Network Management I would have an Information Technology Minor
Old 02-01-2006, 12:24 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

programming jobs aren't fun. You're constantly being told what to do and what's expected of your project. I hope you can handle criticism, because you get torn a new one.

Networking / Infrastructure is a very important part of the business. Without Network techs, any businss would be screwed. Expected salary, 40 to 45K out of college.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:27 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Yea, I like programming but I just can't see myself doing that as a living. My dad does that and I see the stress it puts on him everyday.

Networking looks like alot of fun and like it would be something I would want to do. Is that a good amount to start?

Business would be more for owning a computer company or being a salesperson, right?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:33 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by MarshyTheKid
Yea, I like programming but I just can't see myself doing that as a living. My dad does that and I see the stress it puts on him everyday.

Networking looks like alot of fun and like it would be something I would want to do. Is that a good amount to start?

Business would be more for owning a computer company or being a salesperson, right?

Colleges offer a bunch of majors under the "business" school.
- accounting
- finance
- management
- marketing
- management - information services

"Business" means the inner workings of corporate america.

Out of college, programmers get about 35K. They're a dime a dozen and don't get treated with much respect due to lack of field experience. At 45K, your pre-tax weekly check is about $900.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:35 PM
AcuraFanatic

Programmers only get about 35K? Damn, my buddy is in for a rough surprise. h:
Old 02-01-2006, 12:37 PM
jclau00

don't forget about the outsourcing trend. people in india, russia, china, etc. are willing to do what you do for 1/3 or less of your pay. and they're just as capable as us lazy americans. programming jobs are at risk.

one programmer at my work says he makes the same now as he did 20 years ago. and that's in nominal dollars, not inflation adjusted.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by jclau00
don't forget about the outsourcing trend. people in india, russia, china, etc. are willing to do what you do for 1/3 or less of your pay. and they're just as capable as us lazy americans. programming jobs are at risk.

one programmer at my work says he makes the same now as he did 20 years ago. and that's in nominal dollars, not inflation adjusted.
Geez. It's not an easy field of study either. My buddy is going to Virginia Tech for computer programming.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Grifter

look into CIS/MIS/CIT/etc
you get a general smattering of IT training - database management/admin, apps and dev, network management/admin/security
you usually dont have too much math to cover and in the end you get your degree easier than you would in CS