Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Skateboarders: help!

Old 01-21-2006, 11:48 AM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skateboarders: help!

I'm interested in getting a skateboard and learning to skate. I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks if it means getting quality equipment that won't break or get me hurt. Any suggestions on a board? Any great web sites that have this info? I googled and found a few quality sites, but it would be nice to get some info from people who aren't trying to sell me something. =)
Old 01-21-2006, 11:50 AM
MPerson

I've been a Shorty's man all my life, they are sturdy boards and pretty light on that, but as a novice, you could always go for those pre-made skateboards they sell at Sport shops and such, then always upgrade from then on out.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Brad
wooo nascar!

you can get a quality complete board for under 100 bucks at a local skate shop or an online shop like CCS. if you get a blank deck, decent trucks/wheels/bearings/hardware.

ive always been an shorty's and element fan for decks, but my friend had a CCS blank that i loved.

destructo and tensor trucks are nice. stay away from independent and grind king IMO.

theres not much difference in wheels with the exception of the newer ones with a new style core. you dont need all that. most wheels are the same.

bearings dont really mean much if you're just beginning. it'd probably be better for you to have some slower ones so you can get used to it.

hardware is hardware, pretty much. i rock shorty's silverados.

grip tape, yeah. its grip tape.

anyway, learning to skate is no easy feat. it takes a long time to get used to it and to land your first ollie. i havent really skated ever since i traded my board for GSR head, but it takes a lot of practice and a lot of falling on your ass. don't give up!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:00 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to get all my shit through CCS
Old 01-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Joe

The first step is finding a good local skate shop. Try the boards and find the one that has the right shape/weight for you (its all similar). usually the guys that set up your boards are really cool and helpfull so dont hesitate to ask him questions. Then select the trucks you want, I like destructo since they have more metal over the bolt so you can grind easily. then get some bearings, anything thats abec 5 and up is good (china bones).And i just suggest getting blank wheels, dont bother getting some with graphics on the side since they will fade and chip away fast. And Finnaly buy some skate shoes, you will look stupid skating in nikes.
good luck and have fun
Old 01-21-2006, 12:13 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

I see that stree/technical riding works best on a board 7.5" to 8" wide. I wear like a size 11 shoe.. does that matter? Should I just get whatever feels comfortable?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Joe

Originally Posted by benjamin
I see that stree/technical riding works best on a board 7.5" to 8" wide. I wear like a size 11 shoe.. does that matter? Should I just get whatever feels comfortable?
anything that feels comfortable.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:20 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

I wanna get a longboard for at school. Now those things are cool. I've never been much of a skateboarder because most of them are douches and assholes.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:20 PM
AcuraFanatic

Plywood + yo yo's
Old 01-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Civic2Scooby

I rode a girl deck/ccs blank with venture trucks and spitfire wheels with purple monster bearings....IMM boards :wtc: