Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

NEWS: Explosions near UK fuel depot!

Old 12-10-2005, 11:37 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWS: Explosions near UK fuel depot!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...205711,00.html

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/eu...sts/index.html

Explosions near UK fuel depot
Police confirm casualties, treating blasts as accidents

Sunday, December 11, 2005 Posted: 0828 GMT (1628 HKT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Several large explosions, apparently at an oil depot, rocked a town about 25 miles north of London early Sunday, causing some casualties and sparking a massive blaze. Police said the incident was being treated as an accident.

Officials at the Luton Airport told ITN the blast did not involve an aircraft and was not on airport grounds. Hertfordshire police also said there was no plane involved.

Police said they were expecting further explosions and were evacuating the area near the depot.

Residents in the Hemel Hempstead area reported hearing a loud boom, apparently from the Buncefield Oil Depot, about 6 a.m. local time (0600 GMT). Two other blasts followed, British television network ITN reported, at 6:26 and 6:27 a.m.

The network showed flames shooting an estimated 80 to 100 meters (up to 300 feet) in the air, along with an immense cloud of smoke. Witnesses told ITN the blasts shattered windows and caused other damage at nearby homes.

The smoke was spreading across Hemel Hempstead, and witnesses said there was a strange taste in the air. Police were said to be considering evacuating the town.

"It's a horrible feeling in the back of your throat," Andy Dicker told the network. "Very unpleasant."

The blast was enough to wake residents of west London, some 40 miles away.

One man told ITN he had heard nothing from authorities. "I think they're being pretty tight-lipped about it," he said. "But whatever it is, it's big."

He said he was planning to leave the area. "I think the best thing to do is actually get out," he said.

Witness Simon Heyward described seeing "what looked like fireworks shooting up into the sky." Police, he said, had cordoned off the area.

Another woman said she thought the noise was an earthquake or a plane crash at the Luton Airport. "It was that kind of intense noise," she said.

duck squad member #00003
Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 AM
nevets
WAAAGH!!

:eek5:

thats nucking futs!!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:33 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

:werd: Thats crazy!

I love how some people will leave willingly at a couple explosions not near your house, but when theres a huge hurricane, volcano or other natural disasters, people don't leave..
Old 12-11-2005, 12:37 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Originally Posted by BBC News
Malcolm Stewart, who drives a tanker at the terminal, said there were 20 tanks on the site, each holding three million gallons of fuel.
BBC reporter Colin Campbell said: "There are huge fireballs gushing out of the fuel depot.
"Many people are standing by filming the scene on mobile phones. There are gigantic flames, it would be impossible to contain at the moment, it is out of control.

Dave Franklin told BBC News: "There was a massive loud bang which broke windows above us and to the right. The whole sky just turned orange and black."

Michael Vatty said: "The impression was that it was a clap of thunder, but as soon as we got up we saw the flames. We had the garage door blown in, the front door was also blown in."

The first blast happened at 0603 GMT at the Buncefield fuel depot, close to junction 8 of the M1 motorway, 10 miles from Luton airport.
It is being treated as an accident and rumours that a plane was involved are unfounded, said a police spokesman.
Ok... My bad.. I didn't take it as being this big!

Link to the BBC site:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4517962.stm

A guy describes how his roof fell in. Hes about 500 yards from the blast. Here.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:37 AM
canada

What kind of thunder do these guys have over there!?

:we thouht it was thunder, but then the garage and front door were blown in..."

:wtf:
Old 12-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

police to town folks: STOP TASTING THE AIR.