Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Hey you republicans

Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 PM
kill_kill_kill
it's sarcastic dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ gotta catch him when he's camping, no flush no hide!

Derek?!?!? Do you not know the rules?!??! how do you expect the very wealthy to keep status quo without homogonizing all political dissent ?!? time out young man, till you learn to blindly follow like a good sheep!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:27 PM
skabone69

I don't think I'd go see a political movie in a theater no matter what the viewpoint is. I go to the movies for entertainment, and to laugh. the movies are expensive enough as is, if I were to watch it I'd wait till it comes to cable.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 PM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't watch movies much these days (though I did go see Narnia tonight - was pretty good). Sorry, but this one just doesn't look that interesting to me. Ice Age 2, however, does look interesting to me.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:14 PM
dubcac
I

I might go see it just for the fact that it looks like a good movie...screw the political reasons.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Josh M

I went and saw it tonight with Mike..........I'm Republican and I was not offended at all.

I thought the movie just flat out sucked and was boring and was checking my watch the whole time.............best scene of the whole movie was when the Ferrari 360 drove by, I was hoping Vin Diesel would be at the wheel and there would be a high speed chase with it and say a Porsche GT2 but no such luck with this snooze fest
Old 12-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

Originally Posted by kill_kill_kill
^ gotta catch him when he's camping, no flush no hide!

Derek?!?!? Do you not know the rules?!??! how do you expect the very wealthy to keep status quo without homogonizing all political dissent ?!? time out young man, till you learn to blindly follow like a good sheep!
bah!
Old 12-10-2005, 09:27 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by reno96teg
i'd rather a movie like this were made by some bipartisan fellow. not a wacko out-of-touch liberal like clooney. so i probably won't see it. and i certainly don't want to support him or any liberal while their views are so much against mine. likewise, i haven't seen most of michael moore's crap..
Well the thing is it's not an overtly political movie, and that's why I wanted folks similar to those who are supposedly upset and offended at it, to go see it, to see if they too, were upset and offended at it.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:00 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Well the thing is it's not an overtly political movie, and that's why I wanted folks similar to those who are supposedly upset and offended at it, to go see it, to see if they too, were upset and offended at it.
Given that he seems offended and upset without having seen the movie, I don't see how things could get better.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:27 PM
reno96teg

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
maybe when it comes out on dvd then. there's not many movies i feel like dealing with the hassle of the theater for..
Old 12-14-2005, 12:43 PM
mayonaise

i saw the movie over the weekend, so i thought i'd respond to the thread. for the record, currently i'm a little wary of declaring myself a republican, although i have in the past. i'm sure it's true for most democrats as well; i don't agree with all of the republican platform, so i think declaring a party affiliation inevitably leaves some grey area.. but anyways..

the movie is loosely based on the robert baer book, "see no evil." i haven't read the book, so i have no idea how much artistic license they took with the movie. my guess is quite a bit.

i thought the character of the young pakistani kid was way underdeveloped, and so was his relationship (brainwashing) with the young, charismatic muslim cleric, or whatever he was. some parts of the story were pretty hard to follow, like the details behind the merger of the two oil companies, who got in trouble and why, etc...

overall, i thought the movie was good. it was a little slow and seemed a little long. but it was still pretty dramatic and suspenseful. i had no idea that was the doctor on deep space 9, though. he didn't look that dark on star trek, and i always thought he was european. also, george clooney doesn't play a very good spy.

i didn't think the movie was overtly political. they never name or imply any party affiliations, although i think most peopole are going to associate the oil executives and corrupt politician(s) with republicans. i think the overlying theme is a criticism of american capitalism and the corporate influence on politics, and how these things affect the entire world. these effects can even be felt down to an individual level, in any foreign country. we also see some messed up bureaucracy going on inside the CIA, which i'd say is entirely possible. so to answer the question, no, i'm not offended by it.