Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Help a fellow car guy out...

Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kestrel
I have to agree. I don't think any race series (except NASCAR hfawk uses a true manual anymore. I think some of the SMGs used in Formula 1 are advanced enough where they can be programmed to shift most effectively for a given course.
many still use mixed transmissions... but as autos and other forms of transmissions become stronger and cheaper to produce, you will see more and more in production vehicles.

6 speed autos are creeping into the market as we speak, right now i thikn you can get them in ford motor cars (such as the mercury milan V6) and i think toyota is jumpin gon the wagon next year with the camry too
Old 12-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Change speeches this subject is stupid.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Exadar
Be Quiet and Drive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b00gers
How far along are you? Consider changing speeches? h:

I'm not all that far along, but idk, i still think its a decent topic esp cause its only a 5 minute speech h:
Old 12-06-2005, 11:23 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Change speeches this subject is stupid.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:30 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Exadar
I'm not all that far along, but idk, i still think its a decent topic esp cause its only a 5 minute speech h:

I would change it. I can think up a 5 min speech in no time h:

I did a speech on Spam for my informative speech h:
Old 12-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Exadar
Be Quiet and Drive

Originally Posted by b00gers
I would change it. I can think up a 5 min speech in no time h:

I did a speech on Spam for my informative speech h:

thinking up the speech is the easy part, but i've already got most of the outline and shit done for this... and well.... changing it just isn't worth it at this point...
Old 12-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by sherwood
many still use mixed transmissions... but as autos and other forms of transmissions become stronger and cheaper to produce, you will see more and more in production vehicles.

6 speed autos are creeping into the market as we speak, right now i thikn you can get them in ford motor cars (such as the mercury milan V6) and i think toyota is jumpin gon the wagon next year with the camry too
Well, mixed in the sense that the driver still orders the gear change, but the driver actually does nothing mechanical with the gearbox anymore: the levers only send electronic information to the transmission, and all gear changes are done within the transmission. And any of these are certainly capable of being programmed to be automatic.

Edit: and to help the OP out....the only real advantages I can think of for a manual is as follows
1) More involvement in driving -> usu translates into better driver attentiveness
2) Most car companies charge less for manuals than automatics
3) For city driving, manuals typically have better gas mileage
4) Manuals are less prone to design flaws than automatics (arguably)
Old 12-07-2005, 12:37 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by Kestrel
Well, mixed in the sense that the driver still orders the gear change, but the driver actually does nothing mechanical with the gearbox anymore: the levers only send electronic information to the transmission, and all gear changes are done within the transmission. And any of these are certainly capable of being programmed to be automatic.

Edit: and to help the OP out....the only real advantages I can think of for a manual is as follows
1) More involvement in driving -> usu translates into better driver attentiveness
2) Most car companies charge less for manuals than automatics
3) For city driving, manuals typically have better gas mileage
4) Manuals are less prone to design flaws than automatics (arguably)
id have to agree.
for the typical person, he or she wouldnt know that now an auto is faster than a manual...
Old 12-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Sirreal45

from a quick google... http://www.epinions.com/content_1187881092

3. Acceleration: Manual transmissions, when properly used, provide better acceleration. Several factors contribute to this: they usually have more speeds to choose from, there is no torque converter that “eats” some torque, the weight is less.

4. Do you like to drive? Although automatic transmissions now got very sophisticated and adapt to the one’s driving style, they still cannot predict your intentions. Plus with them you don’t feel the direct link between your right foot and the engine response – the torque converter and other “goodies” mute it.

5. Price: Usually the automatic transmission costs $700-1200 extra. Some cars have them as standard equipment though, and some offer them as a free option.

6. Reliability: The automatic transmissions have much more parts and sophisticated control mechanisms. I have had bad luck with automatics.

Might need to find more sources to elaborate on these topics further, however, some good points to bring up never the less.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Exadar
Be Quiet and Drive

Kestrel and Sirreal45, thanks guys, thats what i've been lookin for