Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Cingular phones

Old 10-02-2005, 12:14 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was on the phone all the way from PA to CT never lost signal with my verizon
Old 10-02-2005, 12:16 PM
RatedITR55
I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KRA
you can just go buy a new phone, you dont need to renew your contract. but they'll charge you the full price, which sucks
Yeah, unless you got "the hook up".
Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RatedITR55
Yeah, unless you got "the hook up".
i got the s710 for 100 bucks.. tell me about the hook up
Old 10-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Troopa-R

Originally Posted by RatedITR55
Also, does anyone know how I could upgrade to a better phone then the one I have currently (Nokia 6102). Had the phone for a few days now and it's great, however the screen seems to grainy and the camera pics are very blurry. Would I need to sign a new contract to get a new phone, or could I just exchange it for something else and pay the difference?
Maybe. I think you have a 30 day window. Just go in, tell them that the phone you just got has a defective camera and screen and ask if it's possilbe to just pay a little more and get another phone.

I know the V551 gets a lot of shit because it's a Motorola and had a very problematic first batch (I know... I had one of the first batch phones - 20 hour battery life is not fun), but all the revised phones are great. Stable, incredible battery life, lots of features, decent picture quality, unlocked from Cingular, love it. I'm coming up on my contract expiration, but I probably won't upgrade for awhile.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:37 PM
tehart

I just got a Nokia 6230... It's working great for me... And yeah, Bluetooth is great...
Old 10-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Black2KGSR

Originally Posted by RiceBurninVTEC
if you have friends in the business, you dont have to do that.
Most of us don't have friends in the business.

Plus, being able to use just about any unlocked GSM phone instead of just the ones offered by your company is a big plus.
and having better reception (at least around here).
Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 AM
JGordon

I've had a Motorola v551(lost it in a cab) and replaced it with a v555 (I think same as v551, just gray instead of blue.) I like these phones alot. I dropped the v555 really hard on some concrete about a week after I got it, and it has yet to hiccup on me. Much better reception and volume levels than the LG phone I switched from back in May. Takes good pics (even in low light) and decent video considering it's a phone and not a camcorder. Lots of ring options on the v555 (unlocked phone) but not so many on the v551 (Cingular specific). I've hooked it up to a buddy's bluetooth headset and loved it, just need to get a headset on the cheap for myself now.

2 complaints: I can't get the Motorola "Mobile Phone Tools" to sync up with the phone so I can transfer pics to/from the PC, and it's easy to hit the side buttons and accidentally change the ring style (i.e. from vibrate to loud -- this can be a big hassle in meetings when you know you turned the phone to vibrate and yet it still rings on you.)