Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Real Estate Investing

Old 09-27-2005, 12:30 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Estate Investing

I'm interested in getting started in this. From what I know it sounds like something I would be good at and would enjoy. I'm not looking to make a quick buck or anything. But I would like to fix up old places and sell them or buy properties and keep them for rentals. Anyone do any Real Estate investing? Any insight? Pros,Cons,tips?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

yeah, you are a little too late to the market.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:32 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

Originally Posted by Dweezel
yeah, you are a little too late to the market.
Explain
Old 09-27-2005, 12:37 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Major con is time. Every second you hold onto the property is even more money out of the profit. If you have a full time job, I wouldn't consider taking up real estate renovation projects.

It's one thing to paint and patch a wall, it's another to take the wall down and redo plumbing and electricity.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:39 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

I don't have a full time job. I have a little bit of start up money. I would be able to invest all my time into it if need be.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

Basically, the housing market is running at an artificial high right now. I know that it has been debated that this is not a bubble, but in my opinion it is a semi-bubble. Real estate values are way too high right now. Prices have approached 165% of GDP, which is about 1/3 higher than the long term average of about 125%. Coupled with the low long-term mortgage rates, it is only a matter of time before it deflates. One of the main concerns of the Fed is this housing market. That is one of the reasons that they continue to raise the fed funds rate which drives a lot of the short term rates, hoping that the long term rates will follow. Anyway, the long-term rates cannot stay this low for too much longer, eventually causing the housing prices to decline...hopefully.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:44 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

Couldn't I still make money by buying rental properties while the mortgage rates are still low?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

technically yes, but they are producing these artificially high housing prices. Unfortunately, there is not much room for them to expand higher so you are better off waiting for the prices to come down a bit. While there is debate as to whether or not prices will drop or crash, they are bound to go down.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:05 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

I'm going to a free class here http://www.investorsunited.com/ tonight....check it out and tell me what you think
Old 09-27-2005, 01:20 PM
HawtPants
the one and only

you need lots of $$$. might need to use your credit so that must be good. and mainly you need lots of $$$ so if the 'bubble' does burst you can wait it out until it gets back up again