Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Brazilian miracle?

Old 09-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Frankie Dirtbag
The White Man's Burden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brazilian miracle?

sugar-based ethanol fueled vehicles. just watched a special on fuels on the history channel. most of the vehicles (or recently produced) in brazil are flex-fuel vehicles. they have engines that run on gas, ethanol or a mixture of both. brazilian gas stations, by law, are required to have ethanol as an option. it is cheaper (half the cost of regular gas) and less polluting ("carbon neutral" according to scientists, ).

brazil currently produces 35% of the worlds ethanol, the US produces less than half that. the US government requires the US to be able to produce twice our current ethanol production by the year 2112. meanwhile, brazil has had this technology since the 80s, thus making them less and less dependent on foreign oil and fossil fuels.

seems like a great solution to our current and future problems. why are we not looking at/using ethanol as an alternative fuel source? what are the pros and cons to ethanol?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:15 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

I heard (I think in a thread on here actually) that it is corrosive :dunno:

but I really have no idea
Old 09-14-2005, 06:16 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

"he US government requires the US to be able to produce twice our current ethanol production by the year 2112."

:wtf: we'll be dead...
Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM
DakarM

funny since Venezuela (sp?) has such cheap oil you'd think Brazil might not care so much.

But ethanol or flex fuel vehicles have been in the US for a while. No one likes them too much since ethanol has less energy per gallon, which means you get less MPG.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Frankie Dirtbag
The White Man's Burden

^are there other cons besides the lower mpg? also, how much lower is it compared to regular gasoline?