Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

PSP People: Anyone upgrade to Firmware v2.0 yet?

Old 08-26-2005, 04:17 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSP People: Anyone upgrade to Firmware v2.0 yet?

I'm not really interested in all the emulators and such for v. 1.5, but I'm usually gunshy about updating to new firmware. So..

In your experience, is there any real benefit to upgrading now, or should I wait until future titles require it?

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

well, if you're not interested in Homebrew, get the 2.0. It has better movie support, web browser, and more options to customize your PSP with. Also better wireless support.

I'm just waiting for a version of ffmpegx to come out with a PSP AVC H.264 codec. If that comes out soon, I'll update, as I find myself not playing as much homebrew as I expected. My computer handles emulators better, especially in regards to nifty effects that make it look just like the TV I had in my childhood h:
Old 08-26-2005, 04:38 PM
thomas
pew pew pew

2.0 is pretty cool the browser is pretty bad ass
Old 08-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Cosmo M3
Lurker

i had the JDM version for a while now, its worth updating.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:02 PM
ShiMmeRr

bad choice... u can do much more than just emulators...
Old 08-27-2005, 01:25 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by ShiMmeRr
bad choice... u can do much more than just emulators...
Since you're the first dissenting opinon... would you mind elaborating?

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-27-2005, 02:10 PM
umop-apisdn
Allergic to vitamin D

Upgrading is stupid if you ask me. Eventually the homebrewers will be able to either:

1. Rip the 2.0 browser to install on a 1.5 machine.
2. Make a browser themselves.

Upgrading to 2.0 is a death sentence to homebrew. From what I have read, this firmware locks the PSP up tighter than a drum.

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Since you're the first dissenting opinon... would you mind elaborating?
There are .ISO loaders, an emulator that you can play DOOM and most other games that use .wad files, and even a program that uses the IR port on the PSP to turn it into a remote control for Sony devices. The emulators are eough to keep me from upgrading.

Browsing would be a neat feature on the PSP, but I see this as a novelty. I have 2 computers for that.

For anyone that is thinking about chiming in about future games requiring a firmware upgrade, there is a program out there that can fool the game into thinking you have the required upgrade while still staying at 1.5. Future .ISO releases will probably have this version checker removed altogether.

We should be so lucky that the PSP was vulnerable to software hacks and workarounds as opposed to hardware. Where do you think you could incorporate a modchip into this thing? There's virtually no space left to work with inside of it.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:15 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by umop-apisdn
Upgrading is stupid if you ask me. Eventually the homebrewers will be able to either:

1. Rip the 2.0 browser to install on a 1.5 machine.
2. Make a browser themselves.

Upgrading to 2.0 is a death sentence to homebrew. From what I have read, this firmware locks the PSP up tighter than a drum.

There are .ISO loaders, an emulator that you can play DOOM and most other games that use .wad files, and even a program that uses the IR port on the PSP to turn it into a remote control for Sony devices. The emulators are eough to keep me from upgrading.

Browsing would be a neat feature on the PSP, but I see this as a novelty. I have 2 computers for that.

For anyone that is thinking about chiming in about future games requiring a firmware upgrade, there is a program out there that can fool the game into thinking you have the required upgrade while still staying at 1.5. Future .ISO releases will probably have this version checker removed altogether.

We should be so lucky that the PSP was vulnerable to software hacks and workarounds as opposed to hardware. Where do you think you could incorporate a modchip into this thing? There's virtually no space left to work with inside of it.

Well, that settles it. No upgrade for me. Not until my hand is forced.

Danke Schoen.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Grifter

if anyone wants to trade their 1.5 for my 2.0 im listening h:
Old 08-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Well, call me crazy, but I upgraded my 1.5 to 2.0, and I'm very happy. In fact, I'm posting from it now. I don't feel like I'm missing much at all... Most of the homebrew was lacking, and the browser and AVC are outright awesome. I just wish text entry had some prediction :happysad: