Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

There's nothing like a good Bond flick.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:27 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's nothing like a good Bond flick.

I've really been enjoying this month of 007 movies on AMC.
Even though I've seen most of em twice or three times. h:

Revisiting Never Say Never Again, it's kinda neat to revisit the poltics of 1960's Europe..

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Or have I gone 'round the bend? h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:49 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Its great watching 007... I've seen them all so many times now. My brother has every single Bond movie(A few of them we spent a few years searching everywhere to find)
Old 08-25-2005, 06:51 PM
shady visions

Originally Posted by MarshyTheKid
Its great watching 007... I've seen them all so many times now. My brother has every single Bond movie(A few of them we spent a few years searching everywhere to find)
walmart has them all on dvd.

[beginwalmarthating]
Old 08-25-2005, 06:54 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Revisiting Never Say Never Again, it's kinda neat to revisit the poltics of 1960's Europe..
Never Say Never Again is from 1983. :dunno:

(although...it is a remake of Thunderball from 1965)
Old 08-25-2005, 07:04 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Never Say Never Again is from 1983. :dunno:

(although...it is a remake of Thunderball from 1965)
Excuse my gaff. I had my films mixed up..

It was Octopussy that I was referring to, not Never Say Never Again.

And by "1960's Europe", I was talking about the fictional narrative for the story, not the release date.

[spoiler= The basic plot..]Octo's the one about a Soviet general - turned - SPECTRE agent and his plans to detonate a nuke at an American Air Base in West Germany. In a nutshell, millions die in his preconcieved "accident" with the goal of forcing disarmament from both sides, leaving SPECTRE as the nuclear superpower.[/spoiler]

Oops.

I'm still adjusting to SoCal heat. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 08-25-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Grifter

i like moonraker h:
Old 08-25-2005, 07:10 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Octopussy was 1983 also. And I'd say the whole tricking NATO into unilaterally disarming its own nuclear arsenal is more of an 80s type of deal. h:

Personally there's just something wrong about Never Say Never Again. I mean, Roger Moore looked too old in most of his Bond movies but he at least had the talk and lanky thing goin for him which helped him not look too dopey, and he always looked too old so he just looked a bit older by the end of things.

Right now it's the scene in NSNA where Connery is fighting the really strong dude in the health club, and he's just got a pot belly and looks way too old. He unfortunately is at the disadvantage of not playing Bond for 12 years before doing it again.

Still you look at Live and Let Die, then View To a Kill, which are 12 years apart, and Moore in View To A Kill ain't lookin so bad off compared to himself in Live and Let Die, whereas Connery in Never Say Never Again looks a lot worse off than he did in Diamonds Are Forever.

Last edited by MrFatbooty; 08-25-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Originally Posted by shady visions
walmart has them all on dvd.

[beginwalmarthating]
I know. But a few years ago they didn't.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:20 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Octopussy was 1983 also.

Personally there's just something wrong about Never Say Never Again. I mean, Roger Moore looked too old in most of his Bond movies but he at least had the talk and lanky thing goin for him which helped him not look too dopey.

Right now it's the scene in NSNA where Connery is fighting the really strong dude in the health club, and he's just got a pot belly and looks way too old. He unfortunately is at the disadvantage of not playing bond for 12 years before doing it again.
Well... yeah... I won't argue about that scene. But I tend to give him a pass on that film. Didn't his wife talk him into doing one more film, hence the name?

Overall, there's a certain amount of fantasy that is an integral part of Bond lore. It varied from film to film. Moonraker really explored that end of the spectrum.. (a laser artillery platoon in orbit?..:chuckles: )

One thing I will agree to... hiring George Lazenby was an atrocious mistake. Timothy Dalton was another. h:

Old 08-25-2005, 07:28 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I can't stand Moonraker. It's pretty stupid. Not to mention that they were so eager to do a Bond-in-space movie after Star Wars that they recycled pretty much the exact same plot from The Spy Who Loved Me. I mean yeah, it's not like there's a ton of variety among Bond plots, but to have two movies back to back with the exact same premise is kinda ridiculous. In both cases, there's some random egomaniacal genius rich guy who wants to create a utopian society at his remote facility he's secretly spent his fortune on, then kill everyone else on Earth, and bring his better people out into the world once it's safe again. The only difference is The Spy Who Loved Me has an underwater base for the evil dude and Moonraker has a space base for the evil dude.

Oh and I like Dalton. The movies he made were kinda weak but easily better than most of the Moore movies. As an actor he kinda reminds me of Patrick Stewart but with hair. I'd say the main problem with the Dalton movies was the producers didn't give him material that would have suited him better. The overall premise of The Living Daylights is fine at least til the end with the fake general guy in the museum, but the writing is just horrible. The overall premise of License To Kill is just stupid. Going after some random drug guy is just kinda blah for James Bond. The scripts and supporting casts for those two movies are for the most part really damned bad which kinda only let Dalton do so much with them.