Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Went to my first hip hop concert last night

Old 08-19-2005, 04:53 AM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to my first hip hop concert last night

Here is a little background:

So a long time ago when I was in HS, one of my neighbor's cousins was visiting and she worked for Rawcus Records. She gave me a copy of Mos Def's CD and I listened to it a few times. About a year later, Mike (FatBooty) started talking about him and I started to listen to the cd a little more. He also told me about Black Star with Mos Def and Talib Kweli and I listened to it a bit and then I kind of stopped.

About three weeks ago, I learned one of my good friends was into hip hop so I started to listen to a few things with him. Hezekiah, Jedi Mind Tricks, Hieroglyphics (sp) and he popped in the "new" Talib Kweli cd. Needless to say I have really been enjoying the new tastes of music he has exposed me to. Well last night I was at dinner and he calls to tell me he scored a few free tickets to last nights concert with Jean Grae, Res and Talib Kweli and asked if I wanted to go. So, like that I went to the concert.

The concert itself was pretty good. Kweli did stuff from his new record, his old record and from Black Star (sans Mos Def). Overall, really enjoyable.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
joebenz
nelson rules

siiiiiiick. i saw talib kweli a few years ago. he tore it up. good stuff.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:56 PM
canada

I been into that for a little while... never seen the concert though
Old 08-19-2005, 03:03 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not a big fan of hip hop. i think i have a talib kweli somewhere though.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:18 PM
dubcac
I

Nice...I'd love to see Nas, Mos Def, and The Roots...just to name a few. I did get to see Gangstarr and Dilated Peoples together.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:54 PM
niqtorious

i saw talib kweli last month... hes great live, unlike some rappers who go up there with like 30 guys and just rap along to their recordings, with thirty other guys goin "YEA" every chance they got....
mos def, talib kweli, common, and kanye are the best in hip hop right now, theyre doing real rap music

i cant stand people who think lil jon and crunk music is real hip hop
Old 08-20-2005, 12:48 PM
joebenz
nelson rules

Originally Posted by niqtorious
i saw talib kweli last month... hes great live, unlike some rappers who go up there with like 30 guys and just rap along to their recordings, with thirty other guys goin "YEA" every chance they got....
mos def, talib kweli, common, and kanye are the best in hip hop right now, theyre doing real rap music

i cant stand people who think lil jon and crunk music is real hip hop
they may be the best that you actualy "hear" about.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

Kweli was good, but I was really surprised with Jean Grae. All I had really heard before was her on one of the tracks from Beautiful Struggle, but I really liked her. She came out (opening act) to the Napoleon Dynamite dance and at the end was like, "yeah all the guys dared me to do it". It was hilarious.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:35 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ive seen mos def, common twice and the roots twice. the roots put on a great show, i liked common the best, but i really want to see mos def again, because ive been listening to the new danger a lot more and ive started to like it a lot more.