Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Best way/service to ship rims & tires?

Old 08-12-2005, 07:05 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way/service to ship rims & tires?

I'm selling some of this stuff right now and I'm not sure of what the best way to go about this is while keeping the rims & tires safe. Should I try to box each of them or can I just cover them in something and strap them in pairs? What carrier should I use? UPS? USPS? FedEx?

Not interested in speed, just low cost and efficiency. Ty
Old 08-12-2005, 07:08 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I ordered my rims and tires they were just covered with cardboard and strapped to keep the rims protected. It cost me about 60 dollars but that was just from Indiana to Mich, by Fedex ground. Cost was figured per tire/wheel. Weigh each one and go to their website and you should be able to get a guestimate by putting in the from and to zipcodes.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 08-12-2005, 07:26 AM
JGordon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used UPS ground a couple of times to have rims shipped to/from myself. With them, you can just cover the rim portion with cardboard and strap it down, but UPS charges you $5.00 for each "non-boxed" item. So if you do 4 rims, that's an extra $20 buck.

It costs ~$150 to ship rims cross country via UPS ground in my experience.

Where's that picture of the guy who just put stamps on an Audi S4 rim and shipped it with no protection? I know it's around here somewhere...
Old 08-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I sold my wheels, I'd have oversized boxes that fit two wheels/tires together. No need to pad, just have something to protect between the two and you're good to go.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 08-12-2005, 07:50 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Nelson, what carrier did you use? I've always had my tires delivered by FedEx and they've just been strapped together. I need to check that out.