Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Where else could this happen??

Old 08-11-2005, 08:38 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where else could this happen??

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - New York radio station WQHT has agreed to pay $240,000 to New York State authorities after it sponsored "smackfest" contests in which young women took turns slapping each other for a chance to win concert tickets and cash.
In a statement, New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer and State Athletic Commission Chairman Ron Scott Stevens said that the station, which is owned by Emmis Communications Corp., had also agreed to donate $60,000 to a nonprofit group that promotes awareness of domestic violence.

"This agreement should be a wake-up call to all those in the entertainment industry who think outrageousness is a clever marketing strategy," Spitzer said in a statement. "The law establishes set boundaries that cannot be crossed to protect our community's health and safety."

Emmis Senior Vice President and General Manager Barry Mayo said that the station would run anti-violence programing and was "completely committed" to making the settlement work.

"Despite the fact that the contestants voluntarily participated in what was supposed to be harmless entertainment, it was not our finest hour, and New York City deserves better," Emmis Radio President Rick Cummings said.

New York officials began an investigation of the FM radio station which bills itself as Hot 97 earlier this year.

State officials argued that the two dozen "Smackfest" contests sponsored by the station last year and early this year constituted a kind of unlicensed "combative sport," similar to underground boxing.

Videos of the "smackfest" contests had been featured on the station's Web site.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 08-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Grifter

wasnt one of those posted here before?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuggin figures some dipshit group would get all offended.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Tobra

If they won't allow that, why would they allow boxing? Oh yeah, because they have a state boxing commision that kicks down a big sack of money every year.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:55 AM
cowanpp
Card carrying badass

Originally Posted by Tobra
If they won't allow that, why would they allow boxing? Oh yeah, because they have a state boxing commision that kicks down a big sack of money every year.
Actually, I think that is why it was illegal and unallowed. I believe it qualified as unlicensed boxing, which is illegal.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:14 AM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

spitzer needs to get off his high horse.

those people want to slap each other, let them. they are consenting adults. so friggin stupid.... and if you dont like the thought of it, dont listen to that station.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Redblurr
Pił Allentato

I saw that. They Went like 10 round or something like that just slaping each other. it was hilarious. The short one had a good arm.