Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Apple (intel inside)

Old 06-06-2005, 03:08 PM
mxl36o
1999 Accord 4 cyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple (intel inside)

Apple announced plans to begin delivering models of its Macintosh computers using Intel microprocessors by June 2006
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...974.html?18181
Old 06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first: :repost:

second: atleast post something more interesting than one stupid sentence about it with no links or anything.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

I believe it is a done deal. The next few years for Apple will be very interesting.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:48 PM
antarius
Large Member

I see it as a great opportunity for Apple to continue developing on OSX, and also have x86 support for better cooperation with Windows applications and games.

My only concern is, now that the line between Apple and Windows has been sort of shortened by sharing architecture, they don't become a PC builder.

If they stay true to their form with innovative designs, operating systems, ideas, and just happen to have an Intel chip inside of them, which also has to be equally innovative and high-end I might add (and the current ones aren't), then I'm all for it.

I have no reason to believe that the above won't hold true, either.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:17 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by antarius
My only concern is, now that the line between Apple and Windows has been sort of shortened by sharing architecture, they don't become a PC builder.
i'm very interested to see the full details of this arrangement. unless they are planning on using some kind of custom chipset, whether it be on the motherboard or the CPU itself, you're right. there's almost no way they can control the hardware as they have been until now. their PC business would become just an overly expensive PC in a nice package, bundled with mac os. this will be great for a lot of people - even the mac loyalists. the upgrading capabilities will change from almost zero to almost infinite. but apple has to know that if people can just install mac os on any random PC, their hardware sales are going to take a nose dive. so i can't help but suspect that they've got something else going on besides a clean switch to the x86 architecture.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:41 PM
mxl36o
1999 Accord 4 cyl

Originally Posted by mayonaise
i'm very interested to see the full details of this arrangement. unless they are planning on using some kind of custom chipset, whether it be on the motherboard or the CPU itself, you're right. there's almost no way they can control the hardware as they have been until now. their PC business would become just an overly expensive PC in a nice package, bundled with mac os. this will be great for a lot of people - even the mac loyalists. the upgrading capabilities will change from almost zero to almost infinite. but apple has to know that if people can just install mac os on any random PC, their hardware sales are going to take a nose dive. so i can't help but suspect that they've got something else going on besides a clean switch to the x86 architecture.
Apple said they're OS will only run on intel chips inside thier boxes... i'm assume intel will customize thier chips for OS X only
Old 06-06-2005, 04:42 PM
mxl36o
1999 Accord 4 cyl

Originally Posted by flipped cracka
first: :repost:

second: atleast post something more interesting than one stupid sentence about it with no links or anything.

ummm not a repost... this became official today
Old 06-06-2005, 05:18 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally Posted by mayonaise

Well hopefully it will hold true that it will be a custom chipset or motherboard. The last thing we need is millions of Taiwanese companies making Apple clones and the likes.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:18 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by mxl36o
Apple said they're OS will only run on intel chips inside thier boxes... i'm assume intel will customize thier chips for OS X only
got a quote? like this one?
But the announcement did not address how Apple would keep Mac OS X from running on non-Apple computers. The appearance of cheaper clones could hurt Apple sales.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8109913/