Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

How to apply for a duplicate title (due to lost)

Old 05-03-2005, 04:50 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to apply for a duplicate title (due to lost)

my friend bought a car, the car was titled from out of state, in FL. The owner signed the title over to her. Now she wants to register the car but lost the title, she has everything else: the bill of sale, the agreement, a copy of seller's driver lisence, and a witness.

She wants to apply for the duplicate title, but doesn't know how as she's located in GA.

Anyone with experience and law knowledge can help her out? I have no idea as how to approach this. Can she just submit a request to FL DMV, or should it be GA DMV? Or does she need the seller to request it for her because when she checked, the title is still "officially titled to the seller."

This is the link to the title's applications as one is simply for a title, another application is for "Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment Title."

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/html/forms.html

Thanks

btw, she tried to contact the seller but could not since the seller moved.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:52 PM
DakarM

have her call her local DMV.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:55 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Originally Posted by DaKarMaul
have her call her local DMV.
She called them, and they said that they can't do anything about it. She would needs to get a bonded-title or have the seller get another one. :dunno:
Old 05-03-2005, 05:04 PM
BonzoAPD

Originally Posted by 94AccordEX
She called them, and they said that they can't do anything about it. She would needs to get a bonded-title or have the seller get another one. :dunno:

what state is it? For NY there is a DMV site and it explains exactly what you have to do to get a new title. Not sure if your state has a site like it but it is worth a look.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:11 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
what state is it? For NY there is a DMV site and it explains exactly what you have to do to get a new title. Not sure if your state has a site like it but it is worth a look.
She lives in GA. I looked at some forms. But it's hard to understand exactly what they mean. From the look of it, she'd just need to submit an application with proof of ownership. But for some reason, they way the word it is so complicated.

I don't know whether she should apply for a duplicate title with the Florida DMV (where it was previously titled at with the previous owner) or with the GA DMV where she lives currently.

So can anyone help me look at them and tel me exactly what they mean? Here's the link the the Georgia DMV forms:

http://www.dmvs.ga.gov/forms/motor.asp