Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

so i want to get into photography

Old 04-09-2005, 09:56 PM
stratguitarist
Missing my honda...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i want to get into photography

well photography has started to interest me. i would like to know from those of you who do this hobby what i will need and any suggestions on a camera. i have a cannon that is like a 5.1megapixel but i want a normal film camera. i would like to take b&w pics as well as color cause b&w pics just look cool. im gonna go ahead and say my price range is between 300-400 bucks but that is just something off the top of my head.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Mandi

IBNightshade
Old 04-09-2005, 09:58 PM
stratguitarist
Missing my honda...

yeah i figured he would post some info in here. from what ive seen i like his photos. the picture quality is always really nice to.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mandi
IBNightshade
Damn

Originally Posted by stratguitarist
well photography has started to interest me. i would like to know from those of you who do this hobby what i will need and any suggestions on a camera. i have a cannon that is like a 5.1megapixel but i want a normal film camera. i would like to take b&w pics as well as color cause b&w pics just look cool. im gonna go ahead and say my price range is between 300-400 bucks but that is just something off the top of my head.
Simple enough...you will need a camera with the ability to go full manual on (aperture and shutter speed).

You will need a decent tripod.

Photoshop 7 or CS (one is as good as the other really)

Then you will need to read and practice on new techniques and not give up until you are comfortable with it.

Once you outgrow this camera you will need a miracle flow of money to fund the entry into the Dslr world and a lot of glass that costs more than any camera body you are going to own.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

You know if I read once in a while I would do a lot better h:

You want film cameras...ok all of the above apply except for the Dslr comment (may still apply though)

film cameras are pretty cheap used so check your local camera stores for a good deal. Most offer a 15-30 day return in the event something is wrong with the camera.

I like my Canon A2 which is entry prosumer and goes for anywhere between $180-250 for the body.

Lenses are your big expense, get the best you can afford and get dfast aperture lenses since its best to have too fast a lens than too slow. Quality glass will save you a lot of effort and junked photos.

Film is going to be a bit costly to develop especially if you shoot true b&w...average cost for developing with scan only (no prints but images on CD) is going to be about $12-$15 for a roll of 36 exposures. Color is cheap to develop straight to CD $4-$6 at local one hour should be fine.

To practice on b&w a fun and cheap film is Kodak CN400 which should be their C-41 process b&w film. You can take this to any lab and they process it in regular color film. True b&w (C-36 I believe) has to be developed differently than this film or color film does.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:24 PM
b00gers

Come film, comes A SHIT LOAD OF EXPENSES. h: Dont forget to factor in film and developing charges. It can add up very quickly.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by WiLL
Come film, comes A SHIT LOAD OF EXPENSES. h: Dont forget to factor in film and developing charges. It can add up very quickly.
Tell me about it.
I had to take in 26 rolls of film from Supercrawl III to get developed and ended up paying about $62 in color processing fees and straight to CD h:

Good thing the mag picked up the bill on that one.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:36 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Tell me about it.
I had to take in 26 rolls of film from Supercrawl III to get developed and ended up paying about $62 in color processing fees and straight to CD h:

Good thing the mag picked up the bill on that one.
Geez, 26 rolls. h:

I had a classmate who was taking a photo class. He develops his own stuff at the school's darkroom. He says he spends $300 a month a paper and chemicals. :nervous: :eek3:
Old 04-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Jessica
ch1x0r

I don't think its necessary to have photoshop, especially if you're just using a normal camera. Besides, you should learn the techniques with your camera first before you play around in photshop (i don't do it at all, i think it degrades photography in some instances). black and white film isn't too bad, but its more money in some places to get it developed, especially if you want 8 by 10.

My advice? Get a regular SLR, and see if a local school has classes on it. That way you can develop your own film (which is tons of fun) and you can learn the basics.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:02 AM
canada

I think we need to get a Photography forum

Every one wants some now.